Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Escape melting pot

Thanks

Dear Robert
    Thank you again for your invaluable input. It looks as though I will have to read Robert Key's "A crowd is not company" again. Yes this is a big task, but one that we can hopefully crack in the end.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Is there any way to post photos here? There's a May 1944 letter from the British Embassy in Berne to the Foreign Office detailing a Red Cross visit to Stallag Luft III, giving brief details of the escape and listing the names of those believed shot. Happy to post if I could work out how.

Cheers,

Richard

Thanks

Ross our moderator has fully disabled photo posting and active hyperlinking, but you can post photos to a flickr account etc and post the address here.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Another name for you to consider :

Lt Robert D. Ingraham ( or Inghram ) 308th Fighter Sqn, 31st Fighter Group, USAAF.
    Shot down by flak off Dieppe on 19/8/42 ( possibly in Spitfire V BL338 ) and spent 40 hours afloat in his dinghy before being captured.
    Arrived in Stalag Luft 3 on 10/9/42.
    Repatriated 3/7/45.

" One of the three original American airman who helped in the digging of the escape tunnels."

Source : http://raf-112-squadron.org/31stfghonor_roll43_44.html

Thanks

Default Great Escape.

P/O A. Wallace RCAF, 419 Sq, shot down on May 12/13,1943. Distributed sand around the compound from the tunnel diggings.

Thanks

Dear Richard K and Angelsonefive,
    Thank you very much for both those suggestions. The are certainly contenders for "the others" list, those not in the 200 but were involved in the escape one way or the other. Some of these may later get changed to the "200" list.
    Thank you both for your interest and input.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Hi All,

I thought I would add this to this topic. My mother meet Paul Brickhill on the ship going to England in 1949 when he was going to research hs book The Great Escape and went out with a few times, he ended up marrying a girlfriend of Mum's latter on.

I meet the nephew of Reg Kierath a number of years ago and he took me accross to his old house and into his old room where a photo of Reg hangs, and he allowed me to photocopy his log book and all his letters from the pow camp.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

This Sundays Mail on Sunday March 3rd has an aticle about the great escape and lists anew book-'Human Game:Hunting the great escape murderers' by Simon Read. 15.99
    visit mailbookshop.co.uk
    The article lists the 50 murdered with photos, I would imagine the book would have a similar image but of clearer quality. I may be able to scan the article for those interested pm me.

Paul H

Thanks

Dear John
    Thank you for your input. You have certainly made some good contacts there. I expect that Reg Kierath's letters and Log Book were very evocative.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Dear Paul
    Thank you for your message. I missed that newspaper. I will send you a PM. Often these are the same images, but the quality of the image can vary a great deal. Thank you again.
    James