Thread: Stirling Mk 1 Crew positions

Thanks

Default Stirling Mk 1 Crew positions

Hi, I'm trying to better understand who did what on a 7 man Stirling Mk 1 and reference it against this cutaway :

http://www.flightglobal.com/imagearchive/Image.aspx?GalleryName=Cutaways/Military%20Aviation/Military%20Aviation%201903-1945&Image=Short-Stirling

I have read elsewhere that the Stirling normally had no co pilot ?

Also which member of the crew performed the role as front gunner ?

many thanks

Jonathan

Thanks

Jonathan

On my father's Stirling crew which was with 214 Squadron in 1943, the Bomb Aimer was trained to do some limited flying which I think was standard at the time. On one operation his Pilot was shot through the lower left leg and the Bomb Aimer flew the a/c while my father put a dressing on the Pilot's leg which took 1/2 hour or so. The pilot then took over flying the a/c again with the B/A working the rudder pedals. I don't think that having the B/A land the plane was considered as an option.
    The Bomb Aimer also worked the front gun position and assisted the navigator with map reading.

Regards
    Dave Wallace

Thanks

Thanks David,

the bomb aimer must have had to be pretty agile to perform all of these roles

Thanks

Johnathan,

"the bomb aimer must have had to be pretty agile to perform all of these roles"

Yes, but not all at once! The front turret was rarely used and the occasions on which an air bomber might be required to fly the aircraft in an emergency even more so. His main task would have been map reading, throwing out 'window' and, on approach to the target, actual bomb aiming.

Errol