Thread: VHF Communications

Thanks

Default VHF Communications

I have a reference to an SOE Squadron using an S Phone, I think this is radio equipment that agents used to communicate with SOE aircraft at set times. Has anybody come across this previously or know more about this. My enquiries have not taken me very far thus far.

Thanks

Hello

There are several files at Kew about S-Phone, in various series. I've never checked them myself, I suggested them to a Frenchman who has made a website about "Plan Sussex". A google search would take you to that website, otherwise I'll check my old e-mails;

Some raids were helped (guided ?) by ground radio operators, but I don't know to what extent.

No. 180 Squadron (on Mitchells) had a third flight, dubbed the "Secret Signals Flight" (SSF) in the summer of 1944. They were transporting one or two extra crewmembers who were operating radio-sets and whose operators were talking with ground operators using S-Phone. These extra crewmembers were French when the missions were carried out over France, or Belgian / Dutch when they were carried out over Belgium or the Netherlands. Their ORB is not very revealing about what they were doing exactly. That's why I suggested the various files at Kew to that fellow Frenchman. I'm quite interested as well, as there are some local stories about a raid on Aire-sur-la-Lys in the Pas-de-Calais in August 1944, and it may have been "guided" by S-Phone.

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss.

Looks to me like this is certanly VHF equipment developed for SOE use and probably used in other fields of operation. Some very good info on my post, it would fit with your information.

The typhoon ground strikes led by forward radio coms could well have been developed from this, the SOE ops are coded Asension Flights.

I will report back if I gather anything positive.

Thanks

Joss

180 Squadron. I see that they record 'GH OPERATOR' as a crew member on selected ops the 'GH' operator replaces an Air Gunner in the crew but this takes place very infrequently.

This must confirm your information sadly the man I knew who would have answered this question has recently passed away. I hope this has helped.

Thanks

Hello,

As for No. 180 Squadron's SSF, one of the Frenchmen who took part in these "hush-hush" sorties was famous author Joseph Kessel (incidentally a friend of Jean Mermoz). The ORB offers nothing more than the serial number of the Mitchell, full crew, time of take-off and landing and the laconic "duty carried out" or equivalent. I think they were collecting intelligence messages from local resistance members.

See this website http://www.plan-sussex-1944.net/anglais/macro.htm

The Gee-H operators were carried out in the "normal" Mitchells ops. It was usually the lead bomber of each box. We had a discussion on the board last year about the Squadron and the crew of 6 the lead crews would take aboard. It was originated by Hugh Halliday if my memory serves me well, and I contributed to it, but I couldn't find it again...

Joss