Thread: P/O Charles Francis Ambrose & P/O James Reginald Bryan Meaker prior 46 SQN 1940

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default P/O Charles Francis Ambrose & P/O James Reginald Bryan Meaker prior 46 SQN 1940

P/O Charles Francis Ambrose & P/O James Reginald Bryan "Jim" Meaker joined 46 Sqn Hurricanes together on 1st April 1940 (Source 46 Sqn ORB) - I suspect there paths up to that point fulfilled a similar path (and that taken from an article on Meker on the web is

"Meaker went to No. 1 RAF Depot, Uxbridge on 19th August for a short disciplinary course, after which he moved to 12 FTS Grantham. On 24th February 1940 Meaker was posted to 12 Group Pool Aston Down, to convert to Hurricanes. He joined 46 Squadron at Digby on 31st March."

They are together on my list consecutively for two bail outs on all around Feb/March 1940 - I suspect they were either in a collision together or bailed out of the same aircraft has anyone got a mystery crew/collision for 12 FTS Grantham or 12 Group Pool Aston Down around that time?

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Default P/O Ambrose

Do you by any chance know exactly where P/O Ambrose was on 24 August 1940? This is not a trivial question; it will nail an important fact in the history of 419 Flight.

deadrock

Thanks

No sorry but he was still with 46 Sqn on 24th Sept 1940 if that helps

Thanks

Update - Slightly getting closer...
    So we have a collision between Ambrose and Meaker and it occurred BEFORE 6th April 1940
    I assume he went on a short Leave prior to joining 46 Sqn

Chichester Observer - Saturday 06 April 1940
    Page 1

CHICHESTER PILOT BALES OUT
    PARACHUTE DESCENT
    Pilot-Officer J.R.B Meaker
    of "The Cottage," West Dean, home on leave, had an exciting story to tell.
    "I was flying along in formation," he told an Observer reporter, " when I suddenly found that I was
    flying without a tail. The plane behind had bumped into me.
    I immediately bailed out.
    The parachute I was wearing was not my own and was too large for me, so I had
    some trouble in finding the ring. They were anxious moments. When it did open
    I found myself descending upside down, but by touching my feet with my head,
    I was able to straighten out and land safely."
    Pilot Officer MEAKER was formerly on the staff of the Observer and left to join the R.A.F.
    He is none the worse for his experience.