Thread: "Escapes by Parachute" Jan 11 1940

Thanks

Default "Escapes by Parachute" Jan 11 1940

From Australian Newspaper Archives

"
    ESCAPES BY PARACHUTE.
    (British Official Wireless)
    LONDON Jan 12
    Four R.A.F. officers from a British bomber, which had developed engine trouble, landed by parachute in fields near Axminster (Devon) last night.
    The pilot remained at his post, and was able to bring his crippled machine to a safe landing at a base in Kent.
    Distress flares were dropped just before the men jumped, but the parachute descents were unobserved in the darkness.
    All four landed safely, widely
    "

I suspect the 4 people may be 6 from the following 6 people

F/O David William Stannard
    Sgt Walter Ernest Boteler
    P/O William Donald "Bill" Allies
    Sgt Hayden
    LAC Taylor
    F/O Arthur Eric Bull

From the description can anyone ID an aircraft, Sqn etc thanks Paul

Thanks

I have a hunch this may be a 58 Sqn Coastal Command Whitley based on it being over Devon.. So based West and 58 Sqn at Boscombe Down at time and the number of crew. Do not have Coastal Command losses but can someone look up for me to see if anything fits thanks

Paul

Thanks

Default P/O Allies

Hi Paul

Doesn't seem to be in CCL, and a F/L W D Allies was lost flying an RCM Fortress (KJ112, BU-P) with 214 Sqn on 21-22/3/1945. Failed to return from a bomber support mission in support of a BC raid on Hamburg. Looks like this is him on your list.

Thought this might be of interest?

Ian

Thanks

Crew were from a 148 Sqn Anson N5019

Full detail of crew are:

Flt/Lt Thomas William Piper - Pilot - landed aircraft at Hullavington #37913 (later Air Marshal with KBE, C.B.,. C.B.E., A.F.C.)

P/O William Donald Allies #41978 Second Pilot - 4th Bale out

Sgt Walter Ernest Boteler #581167- 3rd Bale out

Sgt Charles Kenneth Hayden #513240- 2nd Bale out

LAC Leslie JohnTaylor #533216 - 1st Bale out

ORB has

Harwell 1th January 1940. Anson N5019 during a night flight, cut out both engines whilst pilots were changing over. Captain (Flt/Lt Thomas William Piper resumed control. At 2,000 feet he gave order 'Abandon Aircraft'. The crew P/O W D Allies, 514240 Sgt Hayden, C.K. 581167 Sgt Boteler, W.B. 533216 LAC Taylor, L.J. executed the order calmly and with precision landed near Axminster. Flt Lt/Piper turned of the petrol and when turning off switches, the engines picked up again. Turning on petrol and checking switches, he flew aircraft to Hullavington returning next day to base.

The Appendices to ORB have a fascinating 3 page article written by P/O Allies detailing the full story.

Thanks to Peter Allies (P/O Allies son) who provided me to the clue to the Sqn concerned when he sent me a scan of his fathers Service Record for the period. He was on roll of RAF Harwell as Supernumerary for Operational Training