Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sgt JOHN A PATTERSON (550572) - DFM

Thanks

Default Sgt JOHN A PATTERSON (550572) - DFM

Hi All,

Would appreciate it if anyone could provide the citation for the above airmans award of DFM. He was killed on 27-Feb 1941 flying in Whitley V P4934/MH-A of No 51 Sqn

L.G. 31-Oct 1941
    550572 Sergeant John Anderson PATTERSON (deceased), awarded DFM with effect from 20th February, 1941.

Thanks
    Dave

Thanks

Hi Dave,

'The Distinguished Flying Medal Register for the Second World War' - Ian Tavender

Recommendations

PATTERSON JOHN ANDERSON 550572 51 Sqn
    LG 31/10/1941 (Award with effect 20/2/41) Wireless Operator

'There is no trace of the recommendation for this airman's award'

Sorry Dave, seems like your out of luck.

His service number indicates he enlisted 1935/36 as Boy Entrant - Wireless.

Mark

Thanks

Hi Mark,

Thanks for checking the DFM register and confirming eitherway.

Cheers
    Dave

Thanks

Hello

A quick update for this query. The 51 Sqn ORB From 540 from February 18th 1941 has the following little snippet:

Wing Commander Tait, P/O Peveler, P/O Alabaster, Sgt. Patterson, P/O Careless - returned to BASE via MILDENHALL from the special mission which they had successfully undertaken. Brief summary is as follows:

Jan. 16th - 2 crews departed for RINGWAY for Parachute Dropping training. Dummies at first, then men.
    Feb. 1st - Dress rehearsal
    Feb. 2nd - Departed to Mildenhall
    Feb. 5th - Load tests
    Feb. 7th - Departed for MALTA, took 10.40 hours.
    Feb. 10th - Actual operations - Southern Italy.
    Feb. 16th - Returned to Mildenhall
    Feb. 18th - Mildenhall to BASE.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Possibly/probably Operation Colossus ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Colossus)

Brian

Thanks

Brian

A bit of a search brought up this thread, which confirms that it was indeed Operation Colossus (see post #6):

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...ssus-10-2-1941

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hello

Flight issue of 1st May 1941 confirms awards (D.S.O. to Tait, D.F.C. to PEVELER and ALABASTER, etc...), but no citation. I haven't checked the London Gazette, but usually Flight was quoting from the LG.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Joss.

The full names of the crew of P5015:

W/C James Brian 'Willie' Tait
    P/O Donald Peveler
    P/O Robert Clifford Alabaster
    P/O John Robert Armstrong Careless, of Blyth, Northumberland - awarded D.F.C., gazetted September 23rd 1941
    Sgt. John Anderson Patterson, of Ashington, Northumberland - awarded D.F.M., gazetted posthumously October 31st 1941

Careless's D.F.C. was reported in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle of September 22nd 1941:

First Blyth Man to Receive D.F.C.
    The first Blyth man to win the D.F.C. is Flight Lieut. John Robert Careless (24), eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Careless, of 1, Twenty Second Avenue, Blyth.
    Flight-Lieut. Careless has had an adventurous career in the Air Force, which he joined six years ago as a carpenter.
    In September last year he was a member of the crew of a bomber which was forced down in the North Sea [Whitley P5021, September 9th/10th 1941]. After 11 hours in a dinghy they were rescued by an R.A.F. launch and they were brought into harbour.
    Subsequently he gave a broadcast account of his experience. Since then he has taken part raids on Kiel, Brest and other enemy strongholds, and he was a key member of the force which dropped a raiding parachutist party in Italy.
    He was commissioned in April last year, and on New Years Day this year, the day he married Miss Florence Fawcett, of Cyprus Crescent, Blyth, he received news that he had been promoted to Flight Lieut.
    Flight Lieut. Careless went to the Forster Senior School, Blyth.

Patterson's D.F.M. was reported in the Derbyshire Times, November 14th 1941:

D.F.M. AWARD
    For Staveley Airman Presumed Dead
    Mrs. Kitty Patterson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. D. P. Moncaster, of 11, Ringwood Avenue, Staveley, was officially notified on Thursday week of the award of the Distinguished Flying Medal to her husband, Sergt. J. A. Patterson, who was reported missing on an operational flight last February, and presumed dead. The award is for gallantry and devotion to duty, and Mrs. Patterson with her father, will shortly be visiting London to receive the decoration. Aged 22, Sergt. Patterson was a native of Ashington, Northumberland, which was also his wife’s birthplace, her parents moving to Creswell in 1927 and to Staveley five years later. Sergt. Patterson was a wireless operator, and was married on Dec. 16th 1940, ten weeks before being reported missing.

Co-incidentally, Operation Colossus is mentioned briefly in an article on 51 Squadron in the new November 2018 issue of Britain at War, on page 20.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 25th October 2018 at 10:47. Reason: typo

Thanks

Hi All,

I am currently researching my family history and have found the information given into John a Patterson very useful.(I had tried for ages to find the citation)
    John was my granddads cousin and best man at his wedding(I have a picture of him with my granddad which I will post later)
    My granddad talked a lot about john and never forgot him even though were both very young when john passed.

The A in johns middle name was Anderson which was the sir name of his mother(my great grandmothers sister)

I was lucky enough to visit pinewoods church in the grounds of newstead abbey earlier this year where there is a well kept memorial plaque dedicated to john.

I live in the Ashington area and would love to hear from any of john relatives (which would be distant relatives of myself) to maybe piece together some of the history from that particular branch of the family.

Many thanks
    sleekburnlad

Thanks

Hello Sleekburnlad

Welcome to the Forum. John Anderson Patterson is also commemorated in Ashington. The NEWMP (North East War Memorials Project) website has a page dedicated to him:

http://www.newmp.org.uk/article.php?...splayorder=788

Regards

Simon