Thread: Spitfire engine question

Thanks

Default Spitfire engine question

Hi all,

I am currious if the numbers on the RR Merlin 66 engine are any related to the serial of the engine. These reads:
    12 HD 2347
    and below that
    D 4839-2
    What these numbers mean?

Also does exist a list of Spitfires IX send to Russia until December 1944 where also engine numbers are mentioned?

We might have one SpitIX in Russian marking here shot down, but want to check it or be sure of identity. :)

Thanks for any info, pointer to the info or help

regards

Peter

Thanks

Peter,
    Not an expert on RR Merlin serial numbers, but I would guess that these are Part Numbers and NOT individual (unique) engine serial numbers, although I believe that some types of British engines had the engine number repeated on the major components so that these parts could be permanently identified with that engine, particularly during major overhaul whern they could become separated. I have seen this on a RR Derwent I turbojet from a Meteor III and believe this practice was carried over from piston engines. However some numbers on engine parts might be numbers cast into the item at manufacture which is neither a part number, nor a serial number, but can still indicate something to the experts!
    David D

Thanks

Thank you David,

And anyone can help with the lend lease Spitfire serials to Russia? Thanks

Peter

Thanks

These will be given in the Air Britain serial books and in Spitfire The History, I suspect in Spitfire International, and perhaps in KF Geust's book on Lend-Lease, but these will not give engine numbers. There is at least one website that gives a complete Spitfire production listing, but I haven't been able to work out how to find individual histories.
    Last edited by Graham Boak; 5th March 2013 at 10:23.

Thanks

Thanks, I am searching but seems that lend ;lease docs are only for US part of contract on the internet :( anyone here might be of help ?

Thanks

Typical serial number for a Merlin 66 is A445219 as applicable to JF840 Spitfire LF.VIII.

Ian

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Boak View Post
    These will be given in the Air Britain serial books and in Spitfire The History, I suspect in Spitfire International, and perhaps in KF Geust's book on Lend-Lease, but these will not give engine numbers. There is at least one website that gives a complete Spitfire production listing, but I haven't been able to work out how to find individual histories.
    Hi Graham

To find an individual history - if you go to http://www.spitfires.ukf.net/home.htm - then look at production http://www.spitfires.ukf.net/production.htm - and you will see blocks of serials - for example on page 12 you will see W3207 to W3579 http://www.spitfires.ukf.net/p012.htm - and the first one on page 12 is W3207

W3207 Vb 1659 EA M45 LFVb FF 12-5-41 6MU 13-5-41 609S 27-5-41 MM 27-6-41 222S 16-9-41 FAAC 15-7-42 AST VASM 21-10-42 fuel syst mods M55M install 317S 24-1-43 412S 29-6-43 126S 10-8-43 133S 17-2-44 132S 7-3-44 504S 15-3-44 310S 15-7-44 61OTU 28-6-45 hit truck taxy Keevil tip onto nose AC 20-9-45 recat E 23-10-45

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

Is suppose it will have to be pointed out sooner or later that British-built engines in RAF aircraft usually had TWO serial numbers, the manufacturer's and the Air Ministry number. Just to make life a lttle more interesting. However the manufacturer's number will be stamped on the maker's plate, whereas the AM number will be elsewhere, but they should be unmistakable if you get some sample specimans from reliable sources. DId the AM numbers have an "A" prefix? I seem to recall that all Bristol-built engines had "P prefixes, but I believe that RR engine serial numbers had no prefix (strike me down if I am wrong!)
    David D