Thread: Swordfish Collison South Atlantic 25 Nov 1939. P4009 and L2774

Thanks

Default Swordfish Collison South Atlantic 25 Nov 1939. P4009 and L2774

Trying to sort out some bale outs from 1939 . I have a "Lt Arthur Anthony Pardoe" RN dated 1939. I was wondering if this is associated with the incident on TOCH below

This is on http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=8842

L2774
    "A2M"
    Lt. H. Pardoe
    LA. Edgar.Henry.Shayler
    LAC. Alan. Lawson (RAF)
    Shaylor and Lawson both killed.

I note it is "Lt. H. Pardoe" but a H can be a A if hand written AND I cannot find a "H Pardoe" in 1939 RN List. I wonder if he baled out?

Can anyone provdie a more fuler account of what happened. And what happened to crew of P4009 rescue etc

thanks

Paul

Thanks

Hello,

Aboard the carrier (Ark Royal), at that time, in addition to six Skua fighters of No.800 Squadron, were around two dozen Swordfish of Nos 810, 820 and 821 Squadrons, none of these being up to full strength even on departure. The aircraft undertook numerous patrols, with little to show for their efforts, and their strength was further weakened when two aircraft of No 810 Squadron (P4009/'A2G' and L2774/'A2M'), collided while climbing into cloud on 25 November. Of the six crew members, those in P4009 were all saved but only the pilot, Lt A. A. Pardoe RN, survived from L2774, both L/A E. H. Shaylor and LAC (Air Mech) A. Lawson being killed.

(Swordfish) P4009/'A2G' - 810 Sqn "Ark Royal". Collided L2774 climbing in cloud prior to ALT* off Norway, sank 23.48S:3.29E,
    Lt W. S. Alexander - unhurt.
    L/A L. M. Lloyd - unhurt.
    AB W. Freik - unhurt.

(Swordfish) L2774/'A2M' - 810 Sqn "Ark Royal". Collided P4009 climbing in cloud prior to ALT off Norway, sank 23.48S:3.29E.
    Lt A. A. Pardoe - unhurt.
    L/A E. H. Shaylor - killed.
    LAC (Air Mech) Lawson RAF - killed.

See:
    The Swordfish Story.
    Sturtivant,Ray.
    London:Arms & Armour,1993.
    pp.25 & 176.

* Attack Light Torpedo

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 5th March 2013 at 14:29.

Thanks

Col

Thanks! Those Longs and Lats are definately South atlantic (not ALT* off Norway)!

Anyway. Convinced that two of my 1939 Bale Outs now confirmed on November 25, 1939

Lt Arthur Anthony "H" (sic) Pardoe: L2774
    LA "C" (sic) LM Lloyd: P4009

Though Lloyd is supposed to have baled out without cliping in parachuet and survived 3000 ft drop

Missing from 1940 Irvin list are

Lt. William Stephen Alexander
    AB. W. Freik

who I assume also baled out

Sad to note both Pardoe and Lloyd killed off Norway 25/4/1940 in same Swordfish

Thanks

Paul,

Yes, Ray Sturtivant got a bit confused. They were actually hunting for one of the German pocket battleships in the South Atlantic.

Pardoe and Lloyd, were lost as follows:

Attack on Vaernes Airfield by 810 Squadron from Ark Royal on 25 April 1940.

Swordfish L2790/'A2G'
    Pilot: Lt A. A. Pardoe RN
    TAG: L/A L. M. Lloyd

L2790/'A2G' - 810 Sqn. "Ark Royal". Operation 'DX', ditched after attack on Vaernes airfield.

Lt A. A. Pardoe - killed.
    PO L. M. Lloyd - killled.

Same ref. pp.33 & 176.

Col.

Thanks

Col thanks

RE P4009

Air Britain FAA Units to 1939 has the pilot differently (IIRC) it is Lt Stewart or Lt Stevens but is meant to be Lt W. S. Alexander based on the initials

W Friek is a mystery can't find anyone on Freebmd for that the nearest I can get to is a William Freick 1st Qtr 1939
    In fact NO Freik on FreeBMD excet one and that is a typo for a sister of William Freick

Paul
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 6th March 2013 at 07:39.

Thanks

I think I may have this solved a little further

Thursday 25 April 1940 , Gloucestershire Echo , Gloucestershire, England

SAVED LIFE OF OBSERVER
    CHELTENHAM OFFICER'S O.B. E.
    CHELTENHAM officer of the
    Fleet Air Arm, Lieut. Alexander William Stewart,
    of the Ark Royal, has been awarded the
    Military Division of the O.B. E. for risking his own life by forced landing rather than abandon his aircraft when his observer's parachute had fouled
    , risking his own life when he could easily have saved himself.

As we know that Stewart survived as did Lloyd and Friek (possibly Able Seaman William Mercer Friek) and Lloyd in Caterpillar List (as is Pardoe).

This incident is confuse somewhat from this description I have

“There was extreme boredom in flying patrol over a flat sea, most of the time with nothing in sight but sea and sky. Once the boredom was broken by tragedy. Two of the Ark Royal’s Swordfish were flying in formation when they entered a cloud; the planes closed on each other and one’s propeller chewed off the other’s tail. The pilot of the tail-less plane thought “she wasn’t answering well.” He looked around and saw he had no tail assembly. In these planes parachutes were not usually worn while flying, but were clipped onto the fliers harness when about to bail out. As the planes collided one gunner bailed out without waiting to clip on his parachute. He fell 3,000 feet to the water and survived. Two of the six men in the two aircraft were killed.”

Now I assume Friek was the Observer and who's parachute fouled and caused Stewart to force land and thus earn his OBE

I assume Lloyd was the Gunner "who fell 3,000 feet without a parachute" but was it partially attached and if so why is he on Caterpillar List? Or have Friek and Lloyds stories become confused in the telling

Paul
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 11th April 2016 at 13:08.