Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No. 200 Flight RAAF - Proudlock

Thanks

Hi - I don't mean to resurrect this thread but I've been researching the death of one of my relatives and he just so happened to also be on this tragic flight. None of us have a photo of him and can't seem to find a studio photo like the other two on the list, he was part of the Z Special Unit and moved from the UK to Australia when he was born. If anyone can tell me if there is a photo where I could find it? I don't mind if it costs money just really want to connect the dots we have for him.

Pass. VX85284 Capt Thomas Ivanhoe ELTHAM MiD 'Z' Special Unit +

Thank you all in advance! I hope you can help.

Thanks

Hi
    His file is on line at the NAA, if have not seen this then you can look at by using his service number. Unfortunately his file which is very detailed does not have a photo of him.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

Hi Doug, and welcome to the Forum.

There are at least two books written specifically documenting the history of the 'Z' Special Unit. They are:

Silent Feet The History of 'Z' Special Operations 1942-1945
    Courtney, Godfrey Basil, MBE, MC.
    McCrae:R.J & S.P.Austin,1993..

and ...

They Came Unseen The Men and Women of Z Special Unit.
    Smith,Neil C. Lt-Col, AM.
    Gardenvale:Mostly Unsung Military History,2010.

Both books have their merits, one is not necessarily better than the other. They complement one another. There is scant mention of Capt. T. I. Eltham in both. Op 'Agas II' is mentioned of course in both volumes.

They Came Unseen, has a listing of, "Those Who Served" (pp.123-245), with the following entry for T. I. Eltham":

Service Number: VX85284, AK 39 (AK 39 as Eltham's code number in 'Z' Special Unit)
    Forename/s: Thomas I.
    Remarks:
    Ops: 14 Oct 42 to 18 Apr 43,
    Reurn to Australia,
    29: Nov 43,
    Capt. 22 Mar 45,
    Parachutist 27 Mar 45,
    Ops: from 16 to 25 Apr 45,
    MID,
    Ops: 13 May 45.
    200 Flt.
    KIA Labuk Bay, Borneo 21 May 45, "Agas II'.

All of this, and more, can be found in Eltham's personal file at the NAA, and briefly summarized in his bio at the AWM ( http://awm.gov.au/collection/C2278507 )

Unless you want to know about the structure and methods of operations of 'Z' Special Unit, I would not recommend you purchasing these expensive books (borrow them from a library, if necessary).

Cameras were strictly forbidden in SRD/'Z' Special Unit, and most members referred to each other by nicknames, 'The Boss', or the like, rarely, if ever, by their real names. All members were volunteers and the unit was never issued with a colour patch (if, and when they sported a colour patch, it was generally from a former unit).

Best of luck in your researches.

PS. A snippet: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article64172151

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 29th November 2019 at 12:01.

Thanks

Thanks Col, you're a wealth of information! I have seen some of his files and have even contacted his now pensioner age son who has not been willing to supply me with a photo.

i had not seen the 2 links you sent me but i have actually watched The Last Post ceremony that is on their YouTube page and they even show the back of a big picture frame photo of him! (very frustrating!). I'm starting to give up hope on getting a photo of him.

Thanks again I really appreciate the time you put into researching him.

Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post
    Hi Doug, and welcome to the Forum.

There are at least two books written specifically documenting the history of the 'Z' Special Unit. They are:

Silent Feet The History of 'Z' Special Operations 1942-1945
    Courtney, Godfrey Basil, MBE, MC.
    McCrae:R.J & S.P.Austin,1993..

and ...

They Came Unseen The Men and Women of Z Special Unit.
    Smith,Neil C. Lt-Col, AM.
    Gardenvale:Mostly Unsung Military History,2010.

Both books have their merits, one is not necessarily better than the other. They complement one another. There is scant mention of Capt. T. I. Eltham in both. Op 'Agas II' is mentioned of course in both volumes.

They Came Unseen, has a listing of, "Those Who Served" (pp.123-245), with the following entry for T. I. Eltham":

Service Number: VX85284, AK 39 (AK 39 as Eltham's code number in 'Z' Special Unit)
    Forename/s: Thomas I.
    Remarks:
    Ops: 14 Oct 42 to 18 Apr 43,
    Reurn to Australia,
    29: Nov 43,
    Capt. 22 Mar 45,
    Parachutist 27 Mar 45,
    Ops: from 16 to 25 Apr 45,
    MID,
    Ops: 13 May 45.
    200 Flt.
    KIA Labuk Bay, Borneo 21 May 45, "Agas II'.

All of this, and more, can be found in Eltham's personal file at the NAA, and briefly summarized in his bio at the AWM ( http://awm.gov.au/collection/C2278507 )

Unless you want to know about the structure and methods of operations of 'Z' Special Unit, I would not recommend you purchasing these expensive books (borrow them from a library, if necessary).

Cameras were strictly forbidden in SRD/'Z' Special Unit, and most members referred to each other by nicknames, 'The Boss', or the like, rarely, if ever, by their real names. All members were volunteers and the unit was never issued with a colour patch (if, and when they sported a colour patch, it was generally from a former unit).

Best of luck in your researches.

PS. A snippet: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article64172151

Col.