Thread: 740193 Rufus Arthur WARD KiA 8 October 1940

Thanks

Default 740193 Rufus Arthur WARD KiA 8 October 1940

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys

On the question of black and mixed-race aircrew in the RAF, I note from his picture that appears in Men of the Battle of Britain, that he may have been part West Indian. His Christian name also suggests this. The biog says he was born in Croydon.

Any ideas?

There must have been a number of black/mixed-race aircrew whose names do not appear in the lists of West Indians who joined direct from their home islands/countries, since they were born in Britain.

Once again, any ideas?

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

If this is the same gent he was born in Croydon in 1917 and his parents, Rufus Ward and Louisa V, Anderton were married in Croydon, 2nd quarter 1916.
    Parents, one or other, may have come from another country at some date.

Robert.

Thanks

Going off looks. Take a look at John Nixon Glendinning, KIA 12 March 1941, same book, he doesn't look English neither. He is though. His mother was a single parent, Keziah Glendinning. Somewhere in her line her family came from India. Keziah later became an Alderman, or woman, on Durham County Council and was known for her strong stance on womens rights.

Robert.

Thanks

Default Rufus Ward

Hi Robert

Thanks for the response. One assumes then that John Glendinning was Anglo-Indian? I understand that Fred Berry DFM of 1 Squadron was also Anglo-Indian. There must have been many others.

I hope more information comes to the surface.

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

I think I would refer to him as British. Jim Bazin could be classed as another. Often thought of as British, he was born in Peshawar, Pakistan. Father was Canadian, mother was from Pakistan. His family consider him as Canadian.

Robert.

Thanks

The term "Anglo-Indian" in indian context would refers to Eurasian descent with a White paternal lineage. i.e British father - "native" indian mother somewhere in the ancestry line up - > Anglo-Indian. "Native" Indian father and British Mother - NOT Anglo-Indian (unless they settled in Britain). Children of expant British fathers and british mothers are ofcourse though born in India , are actually British.

So if Jim Bazin's mother was of Indian or Anglo-Indian descent (From the current geographical area of Pakistan) - he is technically Anglo-Indian.

Why does this matter? Documents show that when the RAF enlisted both expat British and Anglo-Indians in India - Aircrew training was limited to only those of pure European descent - and "Anglos" were generally discouraged from trying for Air Crew roles. It didnt stop a few from making it. Ofcourse if these Anglo-Indians were actually located in Britain at that time - this restriction did not matter. Anglo-Indians in India could try for Air crew roles only if they enlisted in the Indian Air Force.