Thread: Lac K.j. Cyster - 751792

Thanks

Default Lac K.j. Cyster - 751792

Following message sent to CWGC:
    On the Runnymede Memorial Panel 22 is commemorated with date of death 22-4-1940: 751792 LAC Kenneth CYSTER.
    In The Times and Flight Global archives listed as 'Missing believed killed on active service', later replaced by 'Presumed killed on active service'.
    On the website http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Hertfordshire/Croxley Green.html is mentioned: "Died on active service at Chesil Bank, Weymouth. Buried in the family grave Rickmansworth, R4 No.19". Please advise.
    Answer received from Mrs Sarah Quinn, Enquiries Section CWGC:
    This casualty is commemorated by ourselves on the Runnymede Memorial as we were informed by the Service Authorities at the time that he had no known grave.
    I acknowledge your comments concerning the entry of the casualty on the Hertfordshire, Croxley Green Roll of Honour website but without knowing the name of the particular cemetery or churchyard in which the casualty is purported to be buried, or sight of the appropriate burial records, we would be unable to look into this further.

Who may help me to solve this discrepancy and bring out that this airman will be correctly listed at the CWGC files.

Thanks in advance for your help; best regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hello Henk,
    Firstly may I say that it's good to see you active and back on the Board, my best wishes for the success of your future treatment.

There are two aspects about your enquiry that interest me: firstly because I live on Portland, which is at the end of the Chesil Bank (or Beach as we know it, though it stretches for 16 miles or so) so I'd also like to know more about this airman and the circumstances of his death. RAF Warmwell was the local fighter base, some 12 miles away. If he was based there, I have the address of the local researcher who may know more.

Regarding CWGC, from my own research into the loss of Lancaster ME453 of 467 squadron in March 1945, I have established with much help from Howard (LG) more details about the bomb-aimer (Ronald Victor Smith) than was known by the CWGC. I wrote to them offering details; they replied that they need a copy of his will (which I have) providing it refers to his war service, dob etc (which it doesn't) or other documentary evidence that mentions his war service, dob and parents name or other corroborating documents.

Regards
    Max Williams

Thanks

Default Lac K.j. Cyster - 751792

Thanks Max for your get-well wishes. Look forward to more info on the said airman.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Default LAC K J Cyster

Hi Henk

I have him as being killed whilst flying in Overstrand, K8173 of No 10 Bombing and Gunnery School when it crashed off Chesil Beach as a result of it breaking up in the air following an engine fire. The other two on board were also killed - Fg Off D R Williams and AC2 E Cooper, who is buried near me in Beverley.

Thanks

Hi Henk
    The only one I could find in the 2nd Qtr 0f 1940 was Ernest Cooper,21, registered at Dorchester,Dorset which looks the right area for a death on or near to Chesil Beach. Neither of the others came up and CWGC has them both on Runnymede, with Cooper buried at Beverly where his parents came from. CWGC describes him as Drogue Operater.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Henk,

751715 enlisted RAFVR June 1939 Wop/AG during Battle of Britain
    The block of numbers around 751100 - 751700+ seems to be for Observers & Wop/AG !

Mark

Thanks

Malcolm,

For K8173 I've besides WILLIAMS and CYSTER as third crew member LAC George W. PATTERSON - 523326, commemorated on Panel 23 of the Runnymede Memorial.

I've COOPER on Fairey Seal I serial K3525 of 10 BGS. Problems disconnecting towing-line near Langton; crashed Langton Herring, Dorset. Death of Cooper registered at Dorchester.

Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Henk
    Cooper's registration at Dorchester is right for Langton Herring as well, the village is just inland of the N End of Chesil Beach
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Thanks Dick for confirmation death registration COOPER.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi Henk

Thanks for the update.

Malcolm