Thread: Semo Mopa meaning

Thanks

Default Semo Mopa meaning

In transcribing the logbook of 355 Sqn (SEAC) Liberator flight engineer Ken Pollitt, I have come upon a reference to a secondary target being "Semo Mopa", "Semo and Mopa", and "Semo-Mopa". In each case, the primary target was in Burma. I have never heard of any place name or names that tie in to Semo Mopa, and I can find no map or gazetteer links to any such place name in the Burma area.

Googling on "Semo Mopa" brings up other four other references, three being relating to Bomber Command, one in the Far East.

It seems "Semo Mopa" was a kind of operation, definitely not a place name. I'd be grateful for an opinion of this.

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks

I simplified my google search to "mopa" and found that this stands for "Master Oscillator Power Amplifier". However, a google search on just "semo" doesn't easily take me further.

I presume "Semo Mopa" was some sort of transmission operation in flight, apparently over enemy territory. Any further enlightenment would be a bonus.

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks

Default Semo mopa

Hi Matt

Trying to recall - I knew this once, from when I was doing my early-war research!

I think SEMO was something like 'self-evident military objective' and the other one was 'military objective ..?.. ..?..'?

No doubt someone will come up with the exact interpretations!

Ian

Thanks

Default Mopa

Military Objective Previously Attacked

Ian

Thanks

Default Semo, mopa

Hi Matt

Found a couple of references to these. Looks like they were given in target orders issued to the squadrons which would give them their primary and secondary bombing targets then, if all else failed, the crews could look for and attack SEMO's or MOPA's and bomb them instead. ie Targets of last resort.

I think I've only seen them on early-war BC papers, but that's because I haven't seen target orders from later on and I guess the acronyms may well have remained in use.

Hope this helps

Ian

Thanks

Hi, and thanks for the solution, Ian.

I will forget the fancy "Master Oscillator Power Amplifier", which was associated with wireless broadcast from aircraft during the war, but just does not fit the bill in this case. "'Self-Evident Military Objective" (or something similar) and "Military Objective Previously Attacked" certainly make much more logical sense.

I should correct my first posting. Actually, Ken Pollitt's son had compiled a list of Ken's ops as found in the 355 Sqn Operations Record Book, and it was only in the ORB, not in Ken's logbook, where SEMO MOPA was mentioned three times. I was in the process of adding logbook summaries to supplement the son's compilation of ops. Ken does list a geographic target for those three ops where SEMO MOPA was a secondary target, or else a target of last resort.

Mystery solved, as far as I'm concerned -- and I'm grateful for your help.

Cheers,

Matt