Thread: Seeking Information on 30 Sqdn Blenheims, circa 1938/39

Thanks

Default Seeking Information on 30 Sqdn Blenheims, circa 1938/39

Hello, Gentlemen. I hope you will not mind a moment's introduction on my first post. I am a modeler in the States, and one of my interests is inter-war period RAF subjects, particularly in the Near East and Far East.

I am presently working on a model of a Blenheim Mk.I, which I would like to finish as a machine of No. 30 Squadron in Iraq (as this was the first overseas unit to receive the type). I have had only mixed results, however, in trying to nail down what the markings employed would have been. I have seen several photographs captioned as showing 30 Sqdn Blenheims in Iraq, which show the machines looking as they would rolled out from the factory, and I suspect these were taken on or shortly after the machines were delivered, and may not show how they appeared during service.

I have been told that Mr.Bowyers' 'Bomber colors' gives individual letters, matched to serial numbers, for a few Blenheims with the unit, and that the 'K-File' reference gives several more such, but unfortunately no photographs are associated with these notes.

Does anyone know if, in this period, 30 Sqdn followed the common practice of marking its squadron number and an individual letter on its Blenheims? Did it mark its Palm Tree crest on the fin? Was there any flight marking scheme employed?

Any information will be of help, and greatly appreciated. A photograph of two would be heavenly.

Thanks

Default Hope a bit of a kick is not amiss here....

Still looking for this information.