Thread: Chidgey a "lost" Pilot

Thanks

Default Chidgey a "lost" Pilot

Gents,

A real long shot here.

I have a Sergeant Chidgey (Pilot) on 218 Squadron between April 1941 and August 1941. (Sadly the ORB does not record his initials or service number)

In late July / August 1941 he is given leave to get married (not confirmed) sadly while on leave his crew are killed while being skippered by Wing Commander J L H Fletcher (August 3rd 1941 Hannover) He does not reappear in the ORB again.

My question is in two parts :

Can anyone help / advice where I can look / locate a marriage cert for this sergeant pilot.

There is an A/S/Ldr Edward John Chidgey DSO DFC of No.35 (PFF) Squadron recorded in the LG, I am not saying this is the same man but the surname Chidgey is unusual. Anyone on the forum research No.35 Squadron, I know that S/Ldr Chidgey passed away in 2006.

I have had no luck with the contact addresses for No.35 Squadron Association.

Any help appreciated

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve

UPDATED INFORMATION: 131540 E J Chidgey was posted into 35 Squadron from 30 OTU on 22nd January 1944. Last mission on 24th July 1944.

UPDATE INFORMATION: Posted to 10 OTU 25th January 1945

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by PeteT; 14th March 2013 at 18:08. Reason: UPDATE
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Freebmd.org.uk

You can check the indexes for males Chidgeys getting married in 1941 in England wales.

SCOTLANDSPEOPLE.GOV.UK FOR scottland.

An Edward J. Chidgey married in Bristol in 1943. Q1

For the Q3 period, i think there is only a Charles E Chidgey getting hitched, Hackney district.

Check AIR78 files for personell named Chidgey, but theres bound to be a Charles E.

Marriage certs can be ordered via gro.gov.uk using ref numbers from first link I gave above.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 14th March 2013 at 17:44.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Gentlemen,

Thank you both for your quick replies.

Regards

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve - Edward J. Chidgey married Edna V. Honey in the 1st qtr of 1943 in the Bristol area. Edna was in fact a WAAF at RAF Lichfield where Edward had been posted as a Sgt Pilot Instructor 903371 (ex 218 Sqdn) in August 1941. After being commissioned 131540 he went on to greater things with 35 Sqdn being awarded a DFC and a DSO.
    Chris

Thanks

Chris,

Thank you for your post.

Can you confirm the date he was posted to 27 OTU please, and if possible when and where he was post off to on completion of his "rest". Thanks Chris.

The mystery now is, why was he not operating on the night his crew were lost. He had up until their loss completed 19 operations as captain. In that time he had a number of close shaves with night fighters and a real battle for survival with two Me109's on a daylight operation on July 24th 1941 against the TOADS.

Thank you everyone on clearing this mystery up.

Regards

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 14th March 2013 at 19:16.
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

TOADS?

... Go on then Steve, what is it, remind us.

(I'm sure I should know this, and probably will!) : )

Cheers

Ian

(ps Was the NA trip successful the other week?)

Thanks

Steve - I have had an extensive look at the 27 O.T.U. ORB and regret to tell you that there is no mention of when Chidgey arrived at Lichfield in August 1941 or when he was posted out. This is not surprising as you will know from looking at ORB's yourself - the arrival of a Sergeant from 218 Sqdn did not warrant an entry but Clyde Smith because of his rank who arrived at the same time does get a mention.
    Chris

Thanks

Steve, i am pleased to see that you are taking intereset in Edward John Chidgey. But I am afraid I do not know anything about his whereabouts while at 218 sqn.
    As he was my fathers skipper at 35 sqn, I had the pleasure to meet him and his wife Edna some fifteen years ago. He was what I (as a norwegian) will describe as a classic english gentleman. He was modest, polite and most likeable in every manner.
    As I understood he participated in the three 1000 bomber raids, while at O.T.U.
    He came to 35 sqn in January 1944 without any awards, but got a well deserved DFC in May or June 1944.
    The DSO was an immediate award after a raid to the Massy Palaiseau marshalling yard in Paris on June 11th. On that occasion Chidgey was the Master bomber in extremely bad weather.
    According to my fathers logbook Chidgey was Master bomber on six operations and deputy on a further seven operations. Some of them where quite successfull.
    Chidgey stayed in RAF for some time after the war, flying among others the Vampier.

Best regard
    John K. Stenwig