Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fleet Air Arm plane crash in Scotland poss.1942 /43. Jack Cunnington sole survivor

Thanks

Default Fleet Air Arm plane crash in Scotland poss.1942 /43. Jack Cunnington sole survivor

Does anyone know of this Fleet Air Arm plane crash into a mountain in Scotland WW2 -possibly while training ?
    My contact's uncle , Jack CUNNINGTON , was the sole survivor [Jack died a few years ago]
    The plane broke in half and Jack , the sole survivor ,was found on the mountain 2-3 days after the crash

I don't have any more details except that the crew saw the mountain loom up just before they crashed [as often happens] Maybe in fog ? He might have been at the rear of the plane and, I presume, had a Navy rank ? My contact isn't sure of the date .

Thanks
    Anne

Thanks

Anne,

This is a long shot, as I have looked at various books about aircraft losses in Scotland but cannot find any candidates.

There is a website which contains all RN casualties and it is arranged in chronological order. Of course many entries are lengthy crew lists of warships but deaths from accident or natural causes are also recorded. When I'm able, I shall try to find the website and will report back!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin
    Many thanks .

Not many details I'm afraid and I suppose Jack didn't talk much about the crash - to his nephew .Except that the plane broke in half and the crew saw the mountain loom up just before they crashed and Jack lay at the site for a day or two before being discovered .

Anne

Thanks

A few extra details might help, was Jack an officer or enlisted man during the war?

What is his correct name? Jack or is in John Peter Joseph Mortimer Cunnington

Did Jack ever fly again after this or did it keep him out of the war thereafter?

Colin., the website you refer to is this one:

http://www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1003-Intro.htm

Just google Royal Navy Casualties

As Jack did not dy in the crash, he won't appear here.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 18th March 2013 at 19:32.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

I suspect the website Colin is thinking of may be: http://www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1003-Intro.htm

I have an extensive database (on index cards not electronic - yet...) of crashes in Scotland but I can't match this one without a type, date, approximate location or casualty name.

Keith

Thanks

Anne,

Could I suggest your contact obtains his uncle's service record. Your description of him not being found until sometime after the accident suggests he would have spent some time in hospital recovering. If so it's possible the hospitalisation will be recorded on the document.

My father had two short periods in hospital during the war, and those stays are recorded. I've seen something similar on other (RAF) records.

Brian

Thanks

Dennis ,Keith and Brian
    Thanks for your suggestions and I appreciate your help .I'm seeing the nephew next tuesday so will ask if he has these details and suggestion that he apply for his service records .Jack Cunnington is the name he gave me and I wondered if he was a John as Jack was often the diminutive .I just offered to try a post on those limited details .

The lack of useful information is very difficult and yes if I had a casualty name from the plane crash that would help a great deal .As it has been suggested to me it must have been summer or a warm spring for a survivor not to freeze to death in an exposed area.

Dennis- do you have that John P J M Cunnington listed somewhere ?

If not into airforce research one tends not ask all the important details such as dates ,sqdn ,crewmates or be knowledgeable about WW2 and then it's too late ! I only started my "father search" 12 years ago when all the close relatives had died and, when younger, didn't know about these things or think to ask my grandfather .

If I do get more details I'll add to the post .

Anne

Thanks

I was using John P J M Cunnington as an example, its not actually anyone, I was making the point that if he happens to have another Christian name it might assist us. But they really need to get his service file if they can't even be fully certain he was FAA or whatever.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis
    Fleet Air Arm is a definite .He knows that for sure and about the crash in Scotland
    Shame,Ha Ha I was getting excited about that long name !

Anne

Thanks

I don't have anything about your man, but if all else fails, a good place to start digging would be Royal Naval Air Station Machrihanish at Campbeltown in Kintyre. This is where FAA bomber squadrons worked up. Clearly J Cunnington was not in a single seater and that fits with the types usually at this base.

Next time I am at Kew I will check the Confidential Naval Lists to see if he was commissioned.

Hope this helps,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS