Thread: Alan Fincham Cook

Thanks

Default Alan Fincham Cook

I know that this is the longest of long shots, particularly as I don't have a Service No. Alan Fincham Cook
    (b.6/9/22, d.14/8/82) served in the Royal Air Force in WW2 as an Air Gunner. That's all I know. He was my wife's cousin. Had we known his Service No., we could have gone to the appropriate source; we now throw ourselves on the collective expertise of this forum and ask if anyone can help with any information about his service.
    Good wishes
    LXXIV

Thanks

Have you tried looking at AIR 78 series which are free download on the The National Archives web site (download is best way). Use Discovery to find the AIR 78 file range which contains both his initials and his full names.

These are the index card for all RAF ORs between 1918 and 1976.

This should give a range of possible service numbers that you can whittle down to the era you are looking for.

However even without his number Disclosures at Cranwell will be able to use dob to find the correct man.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

I`ve found a record in AIR 78 series that refers to Alan Finchman Cook no 1612356.
    Can it be your man?
    Mind the difference in spelling of his middle name.

Cheers,
    Greg

Thanks

Default Alan Fincham Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Grexx View Post
    I`ve found a record in AIR 78 series that refers to Alan Finchman Cook no 1612356.
    Can it be your man?
    Mind the difference in spelling of his middle name.

Cheers,
    Greg
    Greg, many thanks for the help, I had tried the AIR 78, but wasn't having much luck - getting a bit slow in my old age. The Service No. looks spot on - Cardington, October 1941. As for the misspelling of the middle name, not surprising in view of the sheer number of people passing through the gates at that time. I'm sure that he's my man, now to dig deeper.
    Again, most grateful for your help,
    Best regards
    LXXIV

Thanks

No problem,
    I`m glad to help.