Thread: Two UK crashes 1942

Thanks

Default Two UK crashes 1942

17 May 1942 Tiger Moth V6257 possibly crashed Guildford
    20 March 1942 Blenheim Z6271 possibly at 42 OTU

Both of these aircraft appear to have been engaged in accidents whilst being piloted by F/O Kruytbosch
    a casualty by thatname is recorded on the CWGC as died 14/12/42 with 13 Squadron.

Has anyone anything that they can assist me with in relation to the two aircraft please my basic searches have drawn a blank thus far. This is a rare name my hopes are high, thank you kindly for looking. Colin.

Thanks

Hi Colin,

The Blenheim has a Form 1180 raised and lists the pilot as P/O Kruytbosch as pilot in command. Cat AC on ZZ landings, applied brakes too hard on marked bad ground, slipped off taxy track before u/c collapsed.

No Form 1180 has been raised between 15th and 19th May for a TM of the given serial and Kruytbosch not listed for any TM accident between these dates.

There is a F1180 for BA747 whch gives him as killed, pilot in command.

So two out of three.

Looking though the No.42 OTU ORB - He bent another Blenheim V5378 on 21/4/42 at Thruxton.

F1180 for this was raised on 20th Cat A, engine cut during formation flying at 50 ft. Crashed landed on aerodrome and collapsed port u/c.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross.
    Thank you, most valued information - I am keen to not abuse the knowledge base on the forum but sometimes I have to ask and I am as always amazed at the help.

Thanks

Colin/Ross,

V6257 was a Blenheim IV. Possibly Tiger Moth T6257 - 18 EFTS/3 EFTS/18 RFS/3 EFTS/FTS to 6725M 2.50.

Col.

Thanks

Well spotted Col.

The serial is correct but not the type given by Colin and relates to a Blenheim of No.13 Sqn.

The F1180 for V6251 is dated 17th May and gives him as pilot in command of a Cat AC incident at Odiham. U/c collapsed after taxying into deep unmarked ditch.

The card shows 129 hrs solo and 66 hrs solo on type at the time of this accident.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

John Kruytbosch was educated at Cranleigh School and is commemorated on the School's memorial. Despite the unusual name, it has been hard to find out much. What we have found is that he was killed at Canrobert Aerodrome, North Africa but am struggling to find logs for 13 Squadron

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the forum.

The ORBs for 13 Squadron are in AIR27/181 at Kew, plus there are other files with appendices.

Hope this helps,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS