Thread: RAF Coastal Command loss - research for my Police Force

Thanks

Default RAF Coastal Command loss - research for my Police Force

Hello all,

I am currently researching a man who served with our Police Force prior to WWII and who sadly died whilst on active service. I have done as much as I can on him but hoped someone on here may be able to add perhaps a little bit more to his story, such as aircraft, crew, location of loss etc..

He was HERBERT ARTHUR HALL, born 16/02/1920 in Leominster, Herefordshire. He left the Gloucestershire Constabulary and joined the RAF on 06/10/1941.
    Warrant Officer 1575839 RAFVR, reported missing on 24/02/1945. I know he was serving on 612 Squadron who at the time were out of RAF Langham flying Wellingtons on anti E-Boat missions off the Dutch Coast.
    Remembered on panel 269, Runnymeade Memorial, Surrey.

His details are being added to www.gloucestershirepolicemuseum.co.uk as are all our Policemen who were lost on war service.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jon

Thanks

Hi Jon

Wellington XIV
    HF268

Missing on an anti-submarine patrol. All are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

Sgt D C R Burnell
    F/Sgt R E O'Neill
    W/O H A Hall
    Sgt R H Wiltshire
    Sgt R l Rogers
    F/Sgt J T Cockburn

Given he died in 1945 you will be able to apply for a copy of his service record from MoD Disclosures at RAF Cranwell.

Details of SAR forms required for non NOK are on the MoD website and will cost 30 but will give you a great start on researching his service career.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Dear Ross,

I can't thank you enough for your information!, That's really made my day to find his aircraft and crew members. I will be busy now researching all the chaps and see what I can add to Hall's life.

Would there be any way of knowing where the craft was lost? and I am still learning about crew positions and understand rank did not mean too much during an operation. Is there any way of telling what each crew members position / trade would have been?

Kindest regards,

Jon
    Last edited by glospol; 23rd March 2013 at 20:05.