Thread: AHB RAF Northolt

Thanks

Default AHB RAF Northolt

Just wondering what records are held by the Air Historical Branch. Do they have a list of what is held there. Can one visit and access their documents.
    Thanks Richard.

Thanks

Answer to the first part - they have their own list but don't tell anyone they think doesn't need to know, and that generally includes us. We can get a few clues in the answers received in letters from them. They often confirm holding information about accidents which list entire crews (and then say they are not able/willing to divulge the information), and have sometimes confirmed who was on an aircraft if a list is sent to them and you ask for confirmation. This suggests that they do hold either a full (or nearly complete) set of Form 765Cs and probably a quantity of Form 412s. If the documents at the NA & RAF Museum are anything to go by they must hold a huge amount of information.

Second part - No, simple as. They used to allow some visitors but had a number of forms disappear to stopped letting people in.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Don't get me going!!!!!!!

I totally endorse the summary provided by "alclark". Many years ago I found that AHB simply would not provide any sensible summary of the documents they hold which might enable the enquirer to ask questions that were more likely to receive a helpful answer. The issues that have arisen in the recent years about Data Protection are simply another way to build/reinforce unnecessary barriers to the general public.

alclark is not correct in response to the second part of your enquiry. Visitors are allowed to AHB but they are a small "chosen" group of established authors and, more significantly, any current or retired member of the RAF - a number of whom have recently appeared as authors in the published books market.

The notion that the AHB is actually funded by the British taxpayer seems to have got completely lost....

Steve

Thanks

Default AHB

Al/Steve. Thanks for responding. They seem to be behind the times. I have only experience with Ottawa, and the gates seem to be wide open. Piles of accident reports and what other documents that weren't destroyed. The only WW II service files that are closed are the living, or if you can prove they have been dead 20 years.