Thread: Mention in dispatches ?

Thanks

Default Mention in dispatches ?

Hello all ,

Could anybody help?

Does a mention in dispatches have to be printed in the Gazette ? Or can it be a letter of commendation from a commanding officer ?

Many thanks
    James

Thanks

A formal Mention in Despatches would be reported in the London Gazette.

A commendation would most probably take the form of a letter, signed by the unit Commanding Officer, and placed on the individual's file. It might also be reported in squadron,, wing or group Daily Routine Orders (see below about logbook endorsements).

There is also an award known as the King's (or Queen's) Commendation for Valuable Services in the Air as well as the King's (or Queen's) Commendation for Brave Conduct. These would be treated as a Mention in Despatches (i.e. announced in the London Gazette).

I have also found rare instances of memos from No.6 Group Headquarters to the headquarters of the Bases within the group, reporting that Flight Lieutenant X or Squadron Leader Y had had his logbook endorsed in green for a particularly "good show", with instructions that the endorsement (and the description of the deed) be published in Station Daily Routine Orders. I have no idea as to whether this was done in other formations or the extent that it may have been practiced,

Thanks

This is a letter that was in my grandfathers belongings,

Commendatory Endorsement

Authorised by air officer commanding No 85 (base) group.
    Ref 856/c916/226at
    Date 31/7/44

Flying officer Edwards is commended by the air officer commanding no 85 Group RAF for skillful and alert airmanship in landing his aircraft with wheels down, with a dead engine on the 22nd July 1944. When he experienced complete engine failure through an empty cartridge case from another aircraft piecing the coolant radiator, thereby saving his aircraft.

R F Aitken

Wing Commander
    Commanding
    150 Wing
    Royal Air Force

Newchurch
    31/8/44

Thanks

Thankyou very much for the information , very interesting.

Best wishes
    James