Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subject:- Mosquito HS819 613 Sqdn 27 April 1944.

Thanks

Default Subject:- Mosquito HS819 613 Sqdn 27 April 1944.

Greeting everyone,

I would appreciate any information on the loss of Mosquito HS819 (Capt. F/Sgt. ADEY. R J Y & Nav. F/Sgt PINNELL.K.J both killed.) brought down at Enschede Netherlands. During the night of either 26/27 or 27/28 April 1944.

This information is for a young 15 year old lad in Holland who has told me that he has uncovered an oxygen gauge and other items from the crash site with his metal detector, (shades of my youth in 1941 if I had a metal detector then!)

Seriously now, I would like to assist him along the 'research' path as I am sure many of you would like to do. I have a number of books but none covering TAF Mosquito operations.

This loss could be on ‘Operation Flower’ Intruder flights.

Thanking you for any information you may have..

Cheers,

Digger.

Thanks

Apparently it is a D.H.Mosquito NS819
    http://www.dehavilland.ukf.net/_DH98%% 20prodn 20list.txt
    NS819 FBVI 613 Sqn Crashed on night intruder mission 27.4.44 Enschede
    Regards Pavel

Thanks

Hello,

The ORB of No. 613 Squadron confirms it was the night 26/27th April 1944, the crew took off at 2245 on the 26th "This aircraft failed to return to base". Handwritten additions are "crashed at ENSCHEDE Holland" with "0840" in the column of the landing time, and the serial, also added by hand looks really like "NS589", but from this thread it seems it is in error.

There were 5 night intruder sorties that night, for operation Flower. The first two were against Vechta aerodrome, the other two against Quackenbruck airfield, and the last one, for the missing crew, is not stated.

HTH.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Pavel & Joss,

Your information appreciated, it is strange that we have been unable to find WHAT made it crash, I am going to ask young Jasper what the reading is on the oxygen guage he has recovered, instruments and electrical problems were in my line of work 'in ye olde days' .

So if we keep our fingers crossed we may find someone comes up with an answer one day.
    Cheers and thanks again, Hope you are not snowed under over there!

Digger.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jossleclercq View Post
    Hello,

The ORB of No. 613 Squadron confirms it was the night 26/27th April 1944, the crew took off at 2245 on the 26th "This aircraft failed to return to base". Handwritten additions are "crashed at ENSCHEDE Holland" with "0840" in the column of the landing time, and the serial, also added by hand looks really like "NS589", but from this thread it seems it is in error.

There were 5 night intruder sorties that night, for operation Flower. The first two were against Vechta aerodrome, the other two against Quackenbruck airfield, and the last one, for the missing crew, is not stated.

HTH.

Joss
    Hello Joss,
    There appears to be quite a discrepancy with the serial number of this aircraft, if you do hold the ORB would it be possible to send it to me at awarculus@xtra.co.nz, thanks.

Digger.

Thanks

Hello

OK, will do tonight when I get back home.

Not much details in it, and you'll see that some informations have been added by hand later on the typed document.

Joss

Thanks

Thank you Joss, anytime, so much appreciated,perhaps Jaqsper hasn't seen an ORB, it is pleasing to assist a young researcher. My various ORB's went off to the Auckland Museum so I haven't been able to show him one. I will let him know who sent it, thanks,
    Cheers Digger

Thanks

Hi Arthur,

You might want to direct this 15 year old lad to http://www.luchtoorlogboventwente.nl/440427RAF.php
    I'm afraid site is available in Dutch only, but I'm working on an English version.
    As far as I know the serial was NS819, but I'll have to look up the source.
    Regards,

Bas Maathuis

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bas Maathuis View Post
    Hi Arthur,

You might want to direct this 15 year old lad to http://www.luchtoorlogboventwente.nl/440427RAF.php
    I'm afraid site is available in Dutch only, but I'm working on an English version.
    As far as I know the serial was NS819, but I'll have to look up the source.
    Thanks Bas,
    So many thanks for that, would you mind me passing on your e mail address to him? he seems a very sensible lad and for me, his English is very good indeed.

I gave him this website address as it is such a helpful site and Ross runs a tight ship with language etc, I want his parents to feel he is in good company.
    Cheers,
    Digger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jossleclercq View Post
    Hello

OK, will do tonight when I get back home.

Not much details in it, and you'll see that some informations have been added by hand later on the typed document.

Joss
    Thanks Joss, ORB'S received, again much appreciated,
    Digger