Thread: 263 Sqn, 26th April 1945

Thanks

Default 263 Sqn, 26th April 1945

Hi,

Today I received a letter from John Shellard, a Typhoon pilot with 263 Sqn. He described the events of 26th April in which he shared in the destruction of a Me262.

Four pilots, Flt Lt Gus Fowler, Plt Off David Morgan, Plt Off John Shellard and Wt Off Jock Barrie were detailed to attack a train in Niebull station on the German/Danish border. During the atack Plt Off Morgan was shot down by flak. Then two Me262s dived in to attack the remaining three Typhoons. Gus got inside the leading Me262 and fired off a burst. Jock came in next and fired at the 262 as it started to turn in the opposite direction. John was close behined Jock and also fired at the 262 before pulling way to fire at the second jet, which was now climbing skywards at full power. Gus had done likewise. Jock had stayed with the 262 and was joined by Jock and John. They watched as it slowly spiralled down and went vertically into the ground.

Plt Off Morgan had been taken prisoner and when he was released he told John of his experience. He was taken to the base that the Me262s had came from. From what he was told the pilot of the crashed jet had 60 claims to his credit. The other German pilot claimed to have shot down Morgans Typhoon.

Would anyone know the identity of the German pilot or the unit involved? And does anyone have any additional info on Flt Lt Gus Fowler and Wt Off Jock Barrie? I have a W J Fowler on my pilot roster with a note that he was with the squadron in June 1944. From the LG I found W J Fowler 114283 promoted from Act P/O on Prob to P/O on Prob in Feb 1942 and promotion to F/O in Nov 1942 but nothing else. I have W/O Jock Barrie who joined the sqn in October 1944.

Any help appreciated.

Alex

Thanks

Hi Alex
    A small bit from 2nd TAF Vol 3(Shores and Thomas) confirms the incident E of Niebull and gives W/O Barrie the first initial as H and Fowler as F/Lt with initials W J.
    Morgan has initials as D E with rank of P/O ,it says he was hit by Flak and force landed at Niebull although the narrative suggests that a Section were bounced by Me 262s whilst landing with the rest attacking the 262s !!
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi Dick,

Thanks. 2nd TAF is on order from Santa.

Alex