Thread: Wing Commander R C Rawcliff DSO DFC Bar

Thanks

Default Wing Commander R C Rawcliff DSO DFC Bar

I am not sure if this officer was RAF or SAAF. I know he had a property in Kenya and I believe he was a fighter pilot in WW2. I last heard of him in Griffiths in NSW and I'd love to get in touch again. Does anyone have any information?

Thanks

I'm having some difficulty in finding any information about Wg Cdr Rawcliff, although his rank suggests he was RAF rather than SAAF unless he transferred from one to t'other.

I have checked the books 'Honour The Air Forces' by Maton and 'The DSO' by Hearns and his name appears in neither.

Please can you confirm the spelling and whether or not his surname might have been double barrelled. I can find an E C Rawcliff in the RAF Retired List for 1982 but he was far less grand than your man. Any information to narrow the search would be helpful.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Just to add to what Colin has said, a check in the 1945 Air Force List does not reveal this man, but there are others of lesser rank and different initials. None appear to hold DSO or DFC though.

Regards,

Ian

Thanks

Default More info

I've always known him as Ray and he once gave me a couple of books with his name written just as I have done. He did a lot of sailing at one time and worked for Dunlop in Australia. I have a vague recollection he served in the Middle East at one stage. He also had a B.Sc. although I don't know which university.

Thanks

Slightly different tack.

Do you still have the books that Rawcliff gave you? If so, what is the date of publication, approximately when were they given you and does the subject matter of the books relate to anything which might point to Rawcliff.

I can find a RAW, although different initials but with connections which suggest Australian and African connections. This chap was DSO, DFC, AFC.

If your man served in WWII he is going to be as close to 90 as makes no difference. Perhaps a search of deaths registers in Australia might throw up something but I don't know how their system works.

Do you have collateral information such as wife or children, name of employer, home address at a certain time or anything which might allow one to explore the many historical records now available on the web.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Default Books

One book was "Ten Small yachts" (1933) reprinted 1944 and 1946 by Maurice Griffiths. The other was "At the Tiller", 1945, by Ian W. Rutherford. He gave them to me in the late 70's when he left the Australian British Trade Association of which I was president at the time. From there he went to Griffiths in NSW to work for a builder as a manager and that is the last I heard of him. Before the ABTA job, he was a buyer for Dunlop Australia. I'll check the BMDs here and report anon. I believe he sailed a ketch from Kenya to Norway around the time Jomo Kenyatta took over Kenya. I gather he left because he was persona non grata with the new regime.

Mike Falconer-Flint

Quote Originally Posted by Oldduffer View Post
    Slightly different tack.

Do you still have the books that Rawcliff gave you? If so, what is the date of publication, approximately when were they given you and does the subject matter of the books relate to anything which might point to Rawcliff.

I can find a RAW, although different initials but with connections which suggest Australian and African connections. This chap was DSO, DFC, AFC.

If your man served in WWII he is going to be as close to 90 as makes no difference. Perhaps a search of deaths registers in Australia might throw up something but I don't know how their system works.

Do you have collateral information such as wife or children, name of employer, home address at a certain time or anything which might allow one to explore the many historical records now available on the web.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Thanks for that update.

There is presumably a building trades federation or some sort of professional body in NSW. One also assumes that he registered to vote, have a telephone in his home and paid taxes to (state?) central government and hence there ought to be some record of his presence. As he was apparenetly a keen sailor, what about boat clubs and have you tried involving any local newspapers in NSW; they might actually find a search quite an interesting piece of local news.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Default More info

My wife has just reminded me that Ray came from Rhodesia and so, perhaps, he was in the Rhodesian Air Force.

I'll do some digging in various State records next week. I don't think he did any sailing in Sydney and there is not much scope in Griffiths.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Oldduffer View Post
    Thanks for that update.

There is presumably a building trades federation or some sort of professional body in NSW. One also assumes that he registered to vote, have a telephone in his home and paid taxes to (state?) central government and hence there ought to be some record of his presence. As he was apparenetly a keen sailor, what about boat clubs and have you tried involving any local newspapers in NSW; they might actually find a search quite an interesting piece of local news.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Default Ray Rawcliff

His initials are RCG Rawcliff. Can't find any trace in Oz phone books - it is almost as though he just disappeared! Still searching in BMD records and not allowed to look at electoral rolls. It is beginning to look like a lost cause.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by fsquared View Post
    My wife has just reminded me that Ray came from Rhodesia and so, perhaps, he was in the Rhodesian Air Force.

I'll do some digging in various State records next week. I don't think he did any sailing in Sydney and there is not much scope in Griffiths.

Mike