Thread: 615 squadron Where and who please

Thanks

Default 615 squadron Where and who please

Hi all,
    I'm not too sure where this picture was taken, probably Kenley or Northolt.
    Can anyone confirm the identity of the aircrew walking on the peri track.
    I think the chap in front carrying a helmet is Joce Millard.
    Please could anyone help me confirm either way.
    best wishes
    Gerry

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x296/gedburke3/615_Sqn__2_1.jpg
    Last edited by gedburke3; 10th April 2008 at 10:32. Reason: messed it up yet again !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Hi

anyone who has trouble accessing the photo should try this part of the url:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x296/gedburke3/615_Sqn__2_1.jpg

And I don't think that is Northolt. Though it is all very built up around there now, even back then there should be a lot more buildings in the background.

A

Thanks

Hi Gerry
    There might be a clue if you can identify the Sqn of the Boston in the background. I think it's presence puts the date as post B-o-B. If you have a suitable source you might be able to come up with a time period when 615 shared a base with a Boston Sqn. probably from No 2 Gp.unless it is a Nightfighter. 615 Sqn went to the Far East in Mar 1942 according to Jefford, RAF Squadrons
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi Gerry
    Take a look at http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/aviation/airfields/Kenley.html which provides a modern look at what's left of Kenley. There could be 2 likely sites for your photo as there are 2 places where the peri-track curves sharply approaching the thresholds of the 2 runways but with grass areas on the opposite side to the Hurricanes where the Bostons could have stood. I don't know how new Hayes Lane is but it could be post war and the airfield was probably grass at the early part of the war, but the runway directions and locations have probably not changed. Given the slightly rising ground in the background I would tend towards the area near the longer runway at the top of the picture
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 11th April 2008 at 18:09.

Thanks

Default Kenley

Thanks Dick,
    What a thorough investigation you have done, many thanks.
    I thought it was possibly Kenley but was not certain.
    I wish I could determine who the airmen are, as I said in my initial post I think the one at the front with the helmet is possibly Joce Millard.
    Best wishes
    Gerry

Thanks

Hi Gerry,

Your picture should be one of a serie made in late 1940. I know at least about another one photographed several seconds later/earlier.
    When you look on the Hurricanes you see they have black spinners, no Sky band on the tail and left underwing in Sky color. The Air Ministry ordered to use / painted Sky spinners and bands together with black left underwings on 27/11/40. There was a different delay with these applications in Squadrons.
    No.615 was stationed at Northolt from 10/10/40 till 17/12/40.
    I have a note to another picture from this serie it is from Northolt in 3rd December 1940.

Hope this helps,
    Michal

Thanks

Hi Gerry
    My suggestion of Kenley was a guess based on the Airfield View. Michal indicates dates in 1940 for Northolt but the presence of the Bostons on the left of your picture means that this should be looked at carefully as according to rafweb.org http://www.rafweb.org/aircraftA-D.htm the Boston did not come into RAF service until 1941 with 88 Sqn being the first unit to get them and according to Jefford's RAF Squadrons, 88 used Kenley for an unspecified period but not Northolt. Jefford does not mention Kenley under the 88 Sqn entry only under the separate entry for Kenley itself
    Regards
    Dick.

Thanks

Default Northlot, november 1940

Hi,

This print is similar to another one published in the issue n°3 of Ciel de Guerre : la bataille d’Angleterre phase 3. (TMA, early 2007) Two prints are credited to S H MM of Manston,

The author gives the months of October/November 1940 in Northolt.

I crossed the ORB of 615 and the RAF Flying logbook of René Mouchotte.

On 1/11/1940 and the following days he flies on the KW–S; serial given in the F541 is V7598.

Hurricane in the background on this print is the KW S V7598. Aircraft lost on 5/2/41 with P/O CZternastek.

HTH

Bertrand

Thanks

Hi Dick,

I believe the Boston is one of ex-French DB-7s converted to Mark I and II in UK. I am out of my home library / database now but if my memory goes well first a/c were converted for night fighter role in late 1940 already.
    First RAF Squadron what used them was No.85 (F) Sqn from spring 1941.
    Mentioned applications on Hurricanes were delayed in field however it was rather a matter of weeks not months.
    I think December (3) 1940 should be right.

Regards,
    Michal

Thanks

Hi Michal
    Thanks for that. Night fighters were the other possibility and several on the thread, apart from yourself, have pointed to dates in 1940 for the picture. Even the Havoc,the nightfighter name for the Boston, came on stream later but the intercepted French order is the sort of thing that slips through the "record"net and they had to have been kept somewhere!
    Thanks Again
    Dick