Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freddie Stewart, No. 111 Squadron in 1942

Thanks

Default Freddie Stewart, No. 111 Squadron in 1942

Hi,

I've been asked by a former No. 111 Squadron pilot if I could track down the fate and service career of Freddie Stewart, who joined Treble One in 1942, but was soon posted to Malta. I've checked the CWGC database, and the relevant books by Shores, Cull etc., without success. Unfortunately I don't have the squadron ORB for most of 1942, so was unable to check it. The former No. 111 Squadron pilot noted: "Nobody but me seems to remember him, but then I had more cause to because I bought his car from him on learning of his imminent departure from the UK."

Any information about Freddie Stewart would be appreciated.

All the best,
    Andrew A.

Thanks

Andrew , i have some gen on him , i will mail you

Phill Jones

Thanks

Ian and Phill,

Thanks very much for the information you emailed to me. It seems that F.G. Stewart joined No. 229 Squadron on Malta.

Cheers,
    Andrew A.

Thanks

Default Freddie was my grandfather

Hello, I realise that this thread is a couple of years old now, but Freddie was my grandfather, and I would be happy to be in touch with anyone who knew him or to pass on any information I can if anyone is still interested. He was in Malta, off the Wasp, and at D-Day - we have other details. He died quite a long time ago now in South Africa, but my mum and I have been trying to find out more about him. We have his records but haven't got very far...
    Many thanks, Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Arthy View Post
    Ian and Phill,

Thanks very much for the information you emailed to me. It seems that F.G. Stewart joined No. 229 Squadron on Malta.

Cheers,
    Andrew A.

Thanks

Caroline,

Very glad to hear from you regarding your grandfather. Your answer was a case of good timing, because next month I will be meeting with the former No. 111 Squadron pilot who asked me about Freddie Stewart. I'll be sure to let him know about your response. If you provide me with your email address, I can pass it on to him, and perhaps he can share with you his memories of your grandfather. When did Freddie pass away?

Thanks to the help of fellow researchers, here is some basic information about his wartime service:

F/Sgt. Frederick Gardner Stewart was involved in a landing accident on 29 May 1942 after his first Spitfire solo flight, on arrival at Treble One. An F.G. Stewart joined Malta-based No. 229 Squadron on 22 October 1942, and was commissioned as a Pilot Officer in April 1943.

All the best,
    Andrew Arthy - bookie190@hotmail.com

Thanks

Hello Caroline C,
    All I can add is that the Spitfire Vb that he soled on 29-5-42 at Debden was W3848 which overshot at 1230hr. W3848 hit a runway obstruction, the port oleo broke off causing Cat B damaged.
    If anyone knows is DOB and where this was, a possible clue is that he enlisted at Oxford around Nov 40.
    Best wishes,
    Roy

Thanks

Default Message for Caroline C.

Hello Caroline,

i am sending this message more in hope than expectation due to the date of your original post but I would be delighted if you pick up my message.

Firstly I should introduce myself. My name is Richard and I am an amateur historian researching the life of a member of my wife's extended family - John Young - with a view to writing his biography.
    John Young was a member of S.O.E. ( Special Operations Executive) during WW2 and his is a very interesting story. Sadly he was betrayed and captured by the Germans and ultimately murdered in a Nazi concentration camp.
    He was briefly married to a lady called Anne Marie Boulet, a French national, in 1943 and she plays an integral part in events.
    i know from my research that Anne Marie remarried in 1945, and that her second husband was an RAF officer called Frederick Gardner Stewart, however I know little of her life history or events after her remarriage. Hopefully she enjoyed a long and heathy life.
    As Anne Marie played such an important part in John Young's story it would be good to gather as much information about her from anyone who knew her and this is the reason for me contacting you. It was whilst pursuing this aim that, by chance, I stumbled upon this thread on the RAFC Forum. It would be good news if the 'Freddie Stewart' referred to in this post is one and the same person that links to my enquiry, and it would be lovely to hear any information about both her and 'Freddie'. I would be particularly interested in whether Anne Marie ever talked about her wartime recollections and her own service (which I know a little bit about).
    i hope that the sudden, unannounced contact does not cause you any upset or distress and I would love to hear any news you may have, even if I have crossed my wires and your grandfather is not the person I hope him to be.
    Many thanks for taking the time to read this message.

Best wishes,

Richard.

Thanks

Dear Richard,

Very excited to hear from you - thank you for your message! My grandfather was indeed married to Anne-Marie, although their marriage was annulled (we don't know why) not long after (by 1947, I think) and he then went on to move to Jersey, where he met my granny. I don't know how much help I can be, but I had been very interested to find out more about Anne-Marie myself, especially as I have long been interested in the resistance and special ops, which I was told she also worked in. She and Freddie were married 22nd Sept 1945 at St Peter's Church, Eaton Square, and she is listed as Lieut JC Young's widow and daughter of Monsieur Boulet/Bouler of Montbrison in Loire (so they are indeed one and the same - she is also listed as 'Ann Marie France' on another of Freddie's records). They lived at 30 Queen's Gate, London, SW7, which I believe is now the Thai embassy! No one still alive in the family actually had any recollection / knowledge of her except for my step-grandmother (Freddie had four wives in total! Anne-Marie being first, then granny, then someone else we had no idea about, and then my step-grandmother Pat, who was the one who told me about Anne-Marie, and that she was involved in the French Resistance and was perhaps some sort of assistant to de Gaulle in London). Freddie died in the early 1990s, before I was old enough to know about all of these things, and Pat died last year, and I'm afraid I don't know any more of Anne-Marie's history after the marriage. So all in all not very helpful I'm afraid, but if you would be happy to share anything more that you know, then I would be intrigued. Otherwise I planned at some point sooner rather than later to take advantage of my French husband to help me try to do some research as part of a nice holiday to France!

With best wishes,
    Caroline

Thanks

Caroline, Richard: do you know if Anne-Marie was born around 1919?
    This is a Google-translation of something I found in an online newspaper:

"At the Hôtel-Dieu hospital
    Quebec, October 8
    1995 at the age of 76.
    is deceased lady
    Anne-Marie Boulet,
    wife of the late Félix Beldelanger
    She lived in Quebec The family will receive condolences at the funerarium."
    The paper was dated 1995.

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Caroline C, do you have access to your Grandfather's log book?

John Engeslted