Thread: Sgt Henry James Gibbons - 948393 - Died 16/3/42 - 108 Sqd

Thanks

Default Sgt Henry James Gibbons - 948393 - Died 16/3/42 - 108 Sqd

Afternoon Gentlemen,

Could some kind person give me the usual information concerning the above airman:-

Where based;

Aircraft flown;

Serial No and Code;

Possible crash site.

After checking the CWGC site it said the above airman died whilst with 108 Sqd but I read that 108 Sqd merged with 104 Sqd and made up 13 OTU. I checked the relevant OTU volume but found nothing. Have I missed something - yet again - but I cannot find any entry for this airman.

Cheers everyone.

Regards.

Steve.

Thanks

Liberator II, AL577, flew into hill 2 miles N of Jenkinstown, NE of Dundalk, Kilkenny, Louth County, Irish Republic.

Henk.

Thanks

Hi Steve
    According to "RAF Squadrons" , C G Jefford, both 104 and 108 did indeed merge into 13 OTU but it was in 1940. 108 Sqn was reformed at Kabrit in Aug 1941 and at the time you are interested in were flying Wellingtons and possibly Liberators from Fayid and other Landing Grounds in the W Desert. They got Liberators in Nov 1941 but Jefford shows them as "to 159 Sqn" so it seems you must look in the Middle East for Gibbons loss and probably on Wellingtons
    Regards
    Dick

Eddie Fell Guest

As Gibbons is buried in the UK, the Western Desert doesn't seem likely (but I could be wrong).

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Thanks Eddie
    Jefford is usually pretty accurate so I suspect that CWGC have his unit wrong unless he was killed in the UK in the early stages of a delivery flight to the ME. either of him on posting or of an OADU a/c
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

The Lib was indeed on a ferry flight from the Middle East. Details and full crew listing can be found here:

http://www.csn.ul.ie/~dan/war/crashes.htm

A

Thanks

Default Sgt. Gibbons

Hello All,

Sgt. Gibbons deffinatly died in the crash in Ireland. 16 men died in the crash, Amrit has given you the link to the list of other men on my site. They were part of a crew with passengers on their way to the UK, I understand pick up additonal aircraft. The Australian members casualty files are scanned online at the Australian National Archives so you can see them there for confirmation.

There are a number of articles on this crash one of which was in Flypast magazine, dated May (Unknown year) by Steve Challen.

I always seem to miss posts about aircraft I'm interested in!

regards

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Sgt Henry James Gibbons - 948393 - Died 16/3/42 - 108 Sqd

Hello Gentlemen,

Thanks for the great response to my enquiry about Sgt Gibbons, very interesting. At the moment I do not possess the Middle East Losses Volume, so I was unable to check for any loss for that date. But as always you lads came up trumps. Excellent.

Cheers.

Steve.

Thanks

Steve/Dennis,

Gunby and Temple's ME/Med Bomber Losses records this event (p132) but omits the name of one of the survivors (Sgt T E Pattison) listed by Dennis.

The narrative states that AL577 of 108 Sqn 'Took off from Gibraltar for the United Kingdom...The aircraft was carrying air and ground crews to collect further Libertors for ferrying to Egypt to convert 108 Squadron entirely to Liberators. This plan was now abandoned...'

Errol