Thread: Stirling Crash St,Ives 16th December 1943

Thanks

Default Stirling Crash St,Ives 16th December 1943

Gents,

Looking for details on the circumstances surrounding the crash of Short Stirling LJ481 HA-B of No.218 Squadron on return from a mining sortie. The crew, skippered by F/O Lock RNZAF crashed on landing injuring 3 of the crew. Any details much appreciated.

TIA

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Sorry no direct information, but 16/17 Dec was infamous for the at least 30 losses on return to the UK due low cloud. LJ481 was not included in these losses and went on to see further service.
    Two other mining Stirlings : 218's MZ 263 crashed at St Eval that night due fuel shortage and bad weather. EF163 of 75 Sqn crashed in bad visibility at Sutton, Cambridgeshire.
    So I guess that there are good odds for LJ481's damage being weather related.
    cheers Peter

Thanks

Whilst not adding to the actual topic discussion, a little more on the 75(NZ) a/c - Crashed in bad vis upon return Biddington Farm, Sutton, Cambridgeshire. Crew killed except MU injured. One mine hung up which may have affected the CoG. Target was mining Frisians 16.12.43 (from Chorley BCL 1943)

Simon
    75nzsquadron.com

Thanks

There were just two RNZAF officers attached to the RAF on this date with the name Lock (both pilots), namely Henry Desmond (seniority as F/O 1/10/42) and Ian Frederick (seniority as F/O 1/6/43). Turns out that Ian Frederick (NZ415767) was a captain with 218 Squadron according to citation for his (United States) DFC awarded in February 1945, at which time he was instructing at 1651 HCU.) He received his advanced training in Canada during 1942.
    David D

Thanks

Gents,

Thank you both and sorry for the delay in my reply.

David, any idea where I could locate a photograph of F/Lt Lock RNZAF ?

Cheers

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~