Thread: Accident - Edenvale, Ontario - 28-11-1943

Thanks

Default Accident - Edenvale, Ontario - 28-11-1943

Hello,

Flying Instructor, AUS422641 F/O John Arran GORE RAAF of No.1 SFTS, was killed in an aircraft accident near Edenvale, Ontario, on 28-11-1943. Can anyone provide further details on this accident?

Have details from Storr, NAA etc.

Any help appreciated.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 5th April 2013 at 01:09.

Thanks

Col,
    You probably already have this from Gore's file, but... Gore was the Pilot instructor to student "LAC R.H. Myers" . Harvard, FE765, nose dived into the ground at approx 10.00hrs. Gore was killed, but Myers was pulled, alive from the wreckage by a farmer, only to die from his injuries 5 hrs later.
    Alan.
    Last edited by AlanW; 4th April 2013 at 18:03.

Thanks

Hi Alan,

No, l did not have that information, for which l thank you. Gore has no A705 File at the NAA. Quite a few years ago l requested a manual search for his A705, even though l had the file number, the search was unsuccessful. Alan Storr is no help. He accredits Gore with a DFC, and a Pathfinder's Badge. Gore never went to the UK! I was able to figure out Myer's details from a Death Notice in a back issue of the Sydney Morning Herald. All that told me, was; "Also a tribute to his beloved student, pal, Pilot-Officer Dick Meyers. U.S.A." - Not really helpful.

Suppose l'll have to lash out and buy TSGNO.

Your help, much appreciated.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 5th April 2013 at 10:27.

Thanks

Hi Col,

From RCAF Casualty List 752, issued 13 December 1943:

Gore, John Arran PO . Killed on active service in Canada. Charles Gore (father) Carlton, N.S.W. Australia

Myers, Richard Herrick LAC. Died of injuries received on active service in Canada. RE Myers (father), New York City

Myers born 6 October 1922.

CGWC has father as Richard Arran Myers. This is incorrect, and rather strange given that Arran was Gore's middle name. Father was Richard Edwin Myers 1888-1958

I suspect what you're looking for may be found in the papers of Richard Herrick Myers, held at Yale University:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=myers%2C%20richard%20herrick&sour ce=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CEAQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2 Fdrs.library.yale.edu%3A8083%2FHLTransformer%2FHLT ransServlet%3Fstylename%3Dyul.ead2002.xhtml.xsl%26 pid%3Dbeinecke%3Amyers%26query%3D%26clear-stylesheet-cache%3Dyes%26hlon%3Dyes%26big%3D%26adv%3D%26filte r%3D%26hitPageStart%3D%26sortFields%3D%26view%3Dc0 1_3&ei=iDxeUYDvMKzh4APUt4DIBw&usg=AFQjCNGmBt-Emx3uxIjtEPLq78f4uQ3UpQ&bvm=bv.44770516,d.dmg

Site does not open, but a cached copy exists which makes reference to his RAF service and death.

Regards,

Dave
    Last edited by alieneyes; 5th April 2013 at 03:40.

Thanks

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the additional details. Will amend Gore's file.

Col.

Thanks

Lots of family gen on R H Myers on ancestry.com

he seems to have been born in France in 1922 to Richard EDWIN Myers, his father, mother Alice Lee Herrick.

The wartime CWGC ledger page gives his fathers name as Richard Arran Myers, perhaps as we think an error was brought along.

I'll save a few of these files and see if I can send them on too the CWGC for review.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 5th April 2013 at 11:58.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks, Dennis. I'll leave this one to you. As neither man was RCAF my contact at the Ottawa office of CWGC would only be able to forward it to Maidenhead.

Dave
    Last edited by alieneyes; 5th April 2013 at 19:35.

Thanks

Default Harvard FE765 Prang

G'day Col

Here's some supplemental gen on the accident involving Harvard Mk. IIB s/n FE765 from No. 1 Service Flying Training School at R.C.A.F. Station Camp Borden, Ontario..

While carrying out an instrument flying exercise, Gore and Myers conducted some unauthorized low flying. They had been engaged in a dog fight with another aircraft whose identity was never determined after a court of inquiry. There was a loss of control that caused Harvard s/n FE765 to go into a tight vertical bank and subsequently hit the ground three miles due north of the main aerodrome (Borden).

The Court of Inquiry ruled that “Unauthorized low flying during which pilot allowed aircraft to stall then being unable to recover equilibrium.”

The investigating officer recommend that farmer L. Atkinson receive the George Medal for pulling Myers from the burning aircraft. He also recommended official appreciation for Sergeant Farrell for assistance provided to a civilian doctor who attended the injured airman.

Gore's flying times at the time of his death were:

Instrument – 49 hours

Night – 50 hours

*ON TYPE
    Solo – 340 hours
    Dual – 12 hours

Total Solo – 491 hours

Total Dual – 161 hours

Total flying hours = 652

Myers flying times were:
    Instrument – 27 hours

Night – 19 hours

*ON TYPE
    Dual – 72 hours
    Solo – 48 hours

Total Solo – 93 hours

Total Dual – 117 hours

Total all hours = 200

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that most helpful information. A copy of the C.o.I. was sent from The RAAF Air Liaison Officer, Toronto to the Air Board, Melbourne, but that document, along with Gore's A705, has been misfiled, or lost. Unfortunately for Mr L Atkinson, the recommendation for a George Medal remained just that. He did not receive the award.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions in clearing up this loss. Much appreciated.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 7th April 2013 at 20:55.

Thanks

The CWGC accepted the documents I sent and will change Myers fathers name to remove the Arran from it.

The little things that make me chuffed!
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com