Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 619 squadron crest

Thanks

Default 619 squadron crest

Hello again,I have a crest which my father wore on a jacket for many years that I understood to be of the 619.After corresponding with a knowledgeable member who sent me an image of the official crest,I'm now wonderingwhere this crest came from and it's history,and why he had this if an official crest already existed.If you copy and paste the address below,maybe anyone can tell me if they have seen it before and any information about it would be appreciated.

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp220/razbinn/619squadroncrest1_zps78a357a2.jpg

Thanks

I am thinking the reason for your father's squadron badge is that 619 sqdn did not have an officially authorised badge. If the badge you have had sent to you is a heron then this is also unofficial.

Regards,

Ian

Thanks

The badge emailed to me does have some sort of bird wielding a battle axe.So who assumes the authority to come up with a badge and circulate it as official?Why did 619 not have its own crest?

Thanks

Badge, as used by Ian, is the correct term. A crest can form part of a badge. There was (still is?) an RAF Inspector of Badges (but not of crests).

Errol

Thanks

Perhaps this link from 1998 may give answers why some units have no (official) badge: http://www.griffon.clara.net/rafh/press1.htm

Leendert

Thanks

619 Squadron only existed for a bare two years, which is probably the main reason for it not having an official crest.
    These things generally took a lot of time and effort.

Thanks

In another example 94 squadron was reformed in March 1939 but it took five years before an officially recognized crest was received.

Ian

Thanks

Fellow Forumites
    Please take note of Ian and Errol - it is a BADGE, repeat a BADGE. There is no sense in confusing everybody by persisting in using entirely inappropriate and incorrect technical terms. Next we will have people bringing up again the hoary old myth (totally discredited) that the symbolic bird used by the RAF as one of its prime a symbols is an albatross, or even a swift (or maybe a chicken), although I must admit that its actual rendering is highly suspect! The crest has its own honorable place in history, and anybody can look up its definition. The design carried on the fins of Vulcans of 617 Squadron was the CREST of the City of Lincoln, the shape is the thing. Badges, crests and coat of arms have much in common, but all have (or are supposed to have) different purposes.
    David D

Thanks

Fellow Forumites
    Please take note of Ian and Errol - it is a BADGE, repeat a BADGE. There is no sense in confusing everybody by persisting in using entirely inappropriate and incorrect technical terms. Next we will have people bringing up again the hoary old myth (totally discredited) that the symbolic bird used by the RAF as one of its prime symbols is an albatross, or even a swift (or maybe a chicken), although I must admit that its actual rendering is highly suspect! The crest has its own honorable place in history, and anybody can look up its definition. The design carried on the fins of Vulcans of 617 Squadron was the CREST of the City of Lincoln, the shape is the thing. Badges, crests and coat of arms have much in common, but all have (or are supposed to have) different purposes.
    David D

Thanks

You mean it is NOT an albatross?

My father (30+ years in the Army) always said it was. But then, he also told me the offical theme song of the RCAF was "Up In The Air Junior Birdmen".