Thread: 576 Lancaster Squadron.

Thanks

Default 576 Lancaster Squadron.

Is there anyone out there who has a copy of the ORB for this Squadron?Can anyone tell me if the following pilots served with them and the names of their crews?All subsequently served on 166 Sqn.
    1.S/Ldr Scragg (late 1943)
    2.F/O Clewley RCAF (late summer 1944)
    3.F/O Coles RCAF (late summer 1944)
    Any crew details/posting details/ops flown would be very much appreciated.All 3 pilots with their 166 crews were shot down subsequently.
    Thanks
    B

Thanks

576 were only formed at the end of Nov 43, and flew their first op on 2nd Dec 43, so no sign of Scragg in period quoted, and for Jan/Feb 44. Will have a look for the other two later on today, and get back to you.

Thanks

Thank you Alan and an apology Scragg came to 166 from 103 Squadron (nothing like being accurate is there).The other two I think came from 576 (Clewley definitely).Cheers B.

Thanks

No sign of Coles. I started from the date of his posting in to 576, on 16th Oct, and worked back through the ORB to no avail. Clewley is a bit of a mystery, being posted in on 31/8/44, and only doing two ops, the first being a month later on 28th Sept to Calais, then Westkapelle on 3rd Oct. No sign of him after this.
    P/O G.C. Clewley.
    Sgt A.J. Taylor.
    Sgt E.F. Williams, RCAF.
    F/O A.J. Reed, RCAF.
    Sgt J.A. Joyce, RAAF.
    F/Sgt H.R. Thyrett, RCAF.
    F/Sgt R.J. Barr, RCAF.

Just dawned on me that R.J. Barr's name was familiar, i have a copy of his logbook, after helping out one of his relatives with info. It appears that they were doing a lot of "cross country" training between their time of posting in, and their first op.
    Last edited by AlanW; 9th April 2013 at 07:32.

Thanks

Thank you Alan.Coles may not have come from 576.I knew Clewley did because of an entry in the Canadian Archives.
    Neither of these two pilots did 2nd Dickie ops with 166.Now that doesnt necessarily mean that they had flown ops before but it can be an indication.166 were taking in a lot of new crews at this time to replace those lost in the formation of 153 Sqn.
    Thank you again for your help.I appreciate it. I have sent you a PM.B