Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 662 Sqn Auster loss, June 19th 1944...?

Thanks

Default 662 Sqn Auster loss, June 19th 1944...?

Hello everyone

Can anyone provide an identity for a 662 Sqn Auster, shot down on 18th June 1944 after straying over enemy lines.

Capt Leicester Little, RA, 70733 who was attached to 662 Sqn, was killed, his body being recovered on June 27th after the infantry had advanced to the area. He was 662 Sqn's first loss.

Regards

Simon

EDIT: it was the 18th, not the 19th as I originally posted. Possibly Auster IV MT214...?
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 9th April 2013 at 13:26. Reason: Wrong date!

Thanks

Simon,

The Auster production list (see http://www.auster.ukf.net/Auster%20prodn%20list.txt) has one candidate with the combination 18.6.44 and 662 Squadron: serial MT214.

It says that the Auster was shot down during artillery spotting.

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

Thanks Leendert.

The ORB mentions the loss of the aircraft on the 18th, but only mentions Captain Little as a casualty. Presumably he wasn't flying the Auster, being attached to the Squadron from the Royal Artillery?

Can anyone give a possible identity for a pilot, and his fate?

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Don't have details on this aircraft, but it was very common for AOP pilots at this stage of the war to be Army officers, with an artillery background. It was also common for the aircraft to carry only the pilot on "shoots".

Thanks

Thanks for the information Bill. I just assumed that there would have been two on board.

The ASN site (http://aviation-safety.net) entry for MT214 lists two crew on board, and two casualties, but the ORB would surely have mentioned two losses had that been the case.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hello there

My name is Guy Little, grandson of Captain Leicester Little and I recently went to the Bayeux Cemetery to visit the graves there, including that of my grandfather. I am interested in finding out a little more about 662 Squadron, where he flew from on the day that he was shot down and a little more about who else may or may not have been in the aircraft. Where should I begin my research on this topic? Many thanks everyone. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Guy Leicester Little
    38520 Ornon, France

Thanks

Hello

The Squadron Operations Record Book is in reference AIR 27/2189 at The National Archives in Kew, London. You might either get there to see in in person, or purchase it online. If you Google, you'll find the URL. Ordering the month of June 1944 should give you some détails, make sure you have the form 540 and form 541. I've already copied ORBs for AOP Squadrons, they were not always very detailed.

Second place to ask for informations should be Army Historical Branch, as your grandfather was an Army man. But as he flew in a R.A.F. Squadron, it might also be useful to write to the Air Historical Branch as well. You'll find their addresses online.

Good luck in your research

Joss

Thanks

Guy

I've got some information which may be of interest. I've sent you an e-mail...

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thanks Joss and Simon

The information in your email (Simon) is fantastic. Incredible levels of detail. Reading of his landing on a Normandy beach 90 minutes before the land assault on D Day itself was quite incredible. It is all great to read and I will follow up on Joss' leads too with the National Archives next time I am in the UK.

All the very best.

Guy

Thanks

Apologies for butting in folks, but I'm intrigued by the reference to Little landing on a Normandy beach 90 minutes before the land assault on D-day itself. There were two assaults on the morning of 6 June; the first was an airborne assault with paratroops and gliders touching down between 0020 and 0330 DBST. This was to secure the eastern and western flanks of the Normandy beaches on which the main, maritime, assault started on UTAH beach at 0630 DBST, followed by OMAHA, GOLD, JUNO and SWORD, the last at 0725.

Could you add a little more please?

Brian