Thread: FO R.L. Elliott RCAF, how killed.

Thanks

Default FO R.L. Elliott RCAF, how killed.

Flying Officer/ Air Bomber (J/45090) Ralph Leslie Elliott RCAF died in the EMS Hospital, Sorbie, Wigtownshire and is buried in Newton Stewart Cemetery (Dumfries and Galloway).
    His death was registered on 7 December 1944 and was due to fractures to his skull and both legs as the result of "Air Operations" (The CWGC Register has his death as 6/12/1944)
    Can anyone help me with the circumstances leading to his injuries, please?

The adjacent grave is that of Flt.Sgt. (429691) Colwyn Parker Angus RAAF. Died 6/12/1944 but this appears to be co-incidental. Angus was the pilot of an Anson from RAF Millom in Cumbria which crashed in the hills near Newton Stewart and Elliott is not shown as a crew member.

Ken

Thanks

Although not answering your enquiry, here is a little more information:

Flight Archives shown F/O R L Elliott RCAF listed in casualty communique 493 published on 19 April 1945 page 436 as 'Died on Active Service'.

Martyn

Thanks

Allison lists him as hit by an RAF vehicle at RAF Wigtown. He was with 1 AFU.
    Ian Macdonald

Thanks

Hi Ken,

I think that it was as a result of an mechanical transport accident. Somewhere (Wigtown ORB?) it mentions died in hospital the following day.

For the life of me I cannot find the document that I noted it down from so it must have been several years ago - pre laptop.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

The No.1 (O)AFU ORB does record F/O Elliott's death.

December 6th 1944, “MT accident, one officer P/O R.L. Elliot, J45090 (Pupil) killed.”

December 6th 1944, Station Sick Quarters, “Pilot Officer Elliot J45090, was knocked down by a motor vehicle in the camp and sustained multiple injuries with fractured of limbs and skull. He was admitted to Galloway House Hospital Garlieston, but died the following morning.”

December 11th 1944, “Funeral of P/O Elliot.”
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Thank you all so much for your replies.
    Ralph was the only casualty of those buried in Newton Stewart for whom I did not have a clear cause of death.
    Best wishes
    Ken