Thread: Halifax Towing Yoke

Thanks

Default Halifax Towing Yoke

Has anyone any information of the configuration and deployment of the towing yoke fitted onto the tail section of the Halifax aircraft. I am struggling to find much information on this subject but would be keen to know how the system worked. I am assuming the rear gunner had a release lever in the turret, any help much appreciated.

Thanks

'Alterations to the a/c were the removal of the m/u turret, moving the rear turretammunition tracks &boxes to new positions nearer the turret, the fitting of a No.6A towing & release uniton an outrigger under the tail, with a release handle fitted on the right-hand side of the throttle box' - Halifax - Second to None Victor Bingham

'The towing rig was installed beneath the rear fuselage aft of the tailwheel, anchored to frames 45 & 47' The HP Halifax - Ken Merrick

Thanks

John.
    Thank you for that information, the release lever/system would have run a very long distance from cockpit to rear turret. It would be interesting to know how that would have worked, it must have had quite a complicated method of working.

Thanks

No more so than the elevators, rudders, or (when fitted) the retractable tailwheel.

It must be said that anyone studying the cable runs and control boxes in aircraft of this period will be left with a very strong respect for the draughtsmen that planned and drew the things.

Thanks

I strongly second that, having been lucky enough to work with the last of these artists at the beginning of my career. It is becoming a lost art, as shown by the problems with minor revisions to cable runs in the Nimrod MR.4 program.