Thread: King's Regulation 652/14/1

Thanks

Default King's Regulation 652/14/1

I have recently managed to get hold of my late grandmothers WAAF second world war war record. The reason for her discharge in 1941 has raised a few questions marks amongst surviving relatives. On her service record are the following . . .

Para 652/14/1 K.R. TAG Cause "On appointment to a temporary commission"

From doing a bit of searching I understand that 652/14/1 appears to be discharge on appointment to a temporary commission or cadetship (so the words and paragraph match!) The bit that is puzzling the family is that at the time she was appointed to a temporary commission she would have been somewhere in the region of 4 1/2 months pregnant.

So my question for anyone that may be able to shed light on the admin side of the wartime WAAF is were pregnant servicewoman appointed to a temporary commission's for slightly better accommodation and means of putting them on light duty's pending formal discharge from the service - or am I barking completely up the wrong tree?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I might be off track here, but on enlistment a service number would have been issued. that continued through training and the first few promotions. Once promoted to a commisioned rank, the subject had to resign from the lower ranks and thus give back the service number and at the same time be issued with 'an officers' service number. This often led to two separate sheets of records.

A simplistic possible explanation, and I leave it to others with better knowledge to take up the point.

Good luck,
    Paul H.

Thanks

As Paul mentioned she should have a separate record detailing her commissioned service.

If you acquired her records from Cranwell, you need to contact them and enquire why they didn't send both sets.

Malcolm

Thanks

As discussed, your grandmother MAY have two seperate records of service. I say MAY, because I fear she was appointed to a commission prior to her pregnancy coming to light. These were less enlightened times and it was normal for pregnant service women to be discharged, as and when the pregnancy was brought to the attention of the service authorities.

In light of the above, there is a very good chance that her commissioned service would have been very short indeed!

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.