Thread: Aircraft Registration- reused numbers?

Thanks

Default Aircraft Registration- reused numbers?

I'm following a line of enquiry with regard to an aircraft my father was in when it crashed in 1940. The airplane was a Hudson registered as N7290. However this number was also on a Hudson that crashed on the 8th November 1939.
    Would a number be re-used on another aircraft allocated to another Squadron (224)? The original was on a plane from 220 Squadron according to reports from the time, however my fathers logbook states that N7290 was on the plane that he was in on 23rd April 1940 which crashed in Andalsnes in Norway killing the pilot P/O Webb.

Any comments would be appreciated. I would also like to establish the Plane identification letter for this aircraft - I know that 224 Sqdrn used QX but I would like to know what the individual letter would have been.

Thanks

Ken Ness

Thanks

Default Serial re-use

Hi Ken

I'm sure an aircraft (or airfrane) serial would not have been reallocated to another a/c.

More likely that it was repaired or rebuilt (perhaps substantially) after the 220 Sqn crash in 1939 and, when ready, it was sent off again to join another squadron (224) where it was then lost with P/O Webb in 1940.

Or perhaps one of the entries saying each a/c was "N7290" was wrong (ie a simple typo / handwriting error)?

Ian

Thanks

I'm sure Ross will verify this, but Webb was piloting N7249 when killed. You could request a copy of AM Form 1180 for N7290, just to see what Accident catagory it was deemed at time of accident in November 1939, and whether or not it was salvaged for repair.
    Alan

Thanks

Hi Ken

From Air Britain N7290 stalled on approach and crashed into a house in Middlesbrough while with 220 sqn on 8.11.39.
    Written off.

From same and Ross's Coastal Command Losses the aircraft lost in Norway on 23.4.40 was N7249 of 224 sqn, lost due friendly fire from HMS Curacoa. P/o Webb killed and P/o A J Pearson survived. No other crew members mentioned which seems odd for a Hudson.
    regards Peter

Thanks

Hello,

The other crewman named by Ross, P/O A G J Pearson, is actually; 41200 P/O Anthony Brien John PEARSON RAF (later AFC). Google that, and you will find plenty!

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 15th April 2013 at 15:52.

Thanks

Hi Ken,

I can confirm what was already stated - in case of aircraft produced in series in Britain I have never met the case of one serial used twice.
    There were only few cases of for example experimental or captured individual aircraft that in few cases two different aircraft got the same serial.

As for Hudson N7249 you can also check (if not already) older thread of this forum:
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?558-Hudson-crew-for-N7249-224-Sqdn-lost-23-04-1940

But to be sure I suggest the same as Alan - visit/contact RAF Museum Hendon and get the copy of Aircraft movement card for N7290/N7249 and also Flying Accident Card (AM Form 1180) for N7290/N7249.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

There are also a few cases where serials have been applied incorrectly, opening the likelihood - or at least the possibility - of there being two aircraft at the same time carrying the same number. Only a very few cases, of course.

Thanks

No.

In this case I'm satisfied that it is an error in the log book.

This view is based on the AM78s, analysis of aircraft flying before the incidents from the ORBs for both aircraft, the aircraft that the OPs relative flew in to Wick for the battle flight and the Form 1180 for the Middlesborough crash.

However this is my take on the available records. The OP needs to follow the same bread crumb trails to support their assertion that "N7290 was on the plane that he was in on 23rd April 1940".

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.