Thread: 22 Squadron late 1941/42

Thanks

Default 22 Squadron late 1941/42

Dear All,

I am trying to work out who has signed off the flying at the end November 1941 in a log book, and I am having trouble. The chap was a Squadron Leader and was the O/C of A Flight, and it seems to be something like J A Datisan, but could just as well be J A Vatison.

Anyway, I was wondering if any members might have the ORB for the unit and might be able to suggest who was commanding A Flight in November 1941.

Out of interest. The chap I am researching (and who owned the log) was a J Coates who moved to 86 Squadron and was the Navigator with Kellow when his aircraft took part in the attack on the Prinz Eugen when they shot down two German aircraft and damaged a third (the gunner was awarded a DFM).

johnnie

Thanks

On archive.org, you can check the Air Force lists for the period.

Google archive.org british air force lists
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi Johnnie

J A Bateson, Personal Number 37744

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Johnnie,

This was a time of flux for both No.86 Sqn and No.22 Sqn. The detachment from No.86 was lacking operational experience and was sent to St.Eval as both support and continued training.

Then on 7th Jan 1942 13 bods from No.22 were posted into No.86 prior to the move overseas.

Kellow and Coates are not recorded in No.22 Sqn ORB as having any operational flights but first appear in the No.86 Sqn ORB as operational on the 25th Jan 1942 (the AGs were both experienced bods ex No.22 Sqn).

Does the log say when Coates was either posted into No.22 Sqn or when he commenced local flying with the unit?

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

I'll check tonight, but from memory they were only with 22 Squadron for about a month before moving to 86 Squadron.

I have a few pages from the ORB as I was researching a chap called Green a while back. These odd pages, quite by chance, also cover two ops by Coates but I'll have to wait until my next trip to Kew to copy the rest.

Johnnie