Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visit to world war 1 battlefields

Thanks

Default Visit to world war 1 battlefields

Hi
    I apologise in advance for a non aviation theme but hope that some of you may be able to point me in the right direction with some advice.
    I am looking to take my two boys camping to France/Belgium in the spring. They have been studying World War 1 at school and would like to visit some of the cemeteries and museums. Can anyone recommend a few sites there that would enjoy. One of the things that they wish to see is the trench systems.
    Best wishes
    Gerry

Thanks

Gerry,

Suggest you also post this enquiry at The Great War Forum. Several topics there relating to visiting the battlefields of WW1.

http://www.1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/

Thanks

I've done a pilgrimage to some of these sites and actually said they should be made compulsory as part of the school curiculum. If you'd like more info' on my experience, please email me on srv-av8tion(AT)ntlworld.com replaceing AT with the usual.

Regards Steve

Thanks

Default World War 1

Thanks gents,
    I shall take up both of your offers.
    I wish I knew more about World war 1, it seems a real tragedy that we were not taught more about it when I was at school - obviously this has been addressed now and it seems to be more thoroughly covered in the current history curriculem.
    The kids can't wait, I hope that the sight of the cemetries will make them realise the human cost - they get so excited about guns and trenches and tanks. Typical kids I suppose.
    My interest in aviation allowed me the opportunity to sit in a Spitfire last summer, I took the kids along for a day out, guess who got to sit in the Spitfire?
    Not bloody me!!
    Gerry

Thanks

Default Trench museum WW1

Gerry
    This is the the Newfoundland Museum site with map
    http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/somme/newfoundland.html

There are remains of trenches & a museum .A CWGC WW1 site is at Warloy Baillon, nearby.Both a few miles from Albert. My Australian great uncle is buried at W B
    There used to be a British run teashop in the area .

Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 10th April 2008 at 19:59.

Thanks

Hi Anne, Arras is excellent, The tunnel system under the town hall has been enhanced with a museum and there is a municipal camp site in the town about half a mile away, nothing spectacular but adequate. Pete

Thanks

Default Ww1

Pete

When these WW1 battle sites & CWGC cemeteries are visited, on a peaceful sunny day and the birds singing, it takes some imagination to see the sites in the heat of battle with mud everywhere , guns firing & shells flying across.

Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 11th April 2008 at 07:59.

Bart FM Droog Guest

Hello Anne,

Ieper (Ypres) in Belgium and Vimy Ridge (France, SE of Lille) are the places to visit. Ieper especially, since there you'll find the biggest concentration of Commonwealth War Cemeteries, Memorials and WW1 relicts.

The War Musea in Ieper and Péronne (Northern France) are also good musea to bring school children to.

Don't go in the summer, spring and autumn are the best seasons to visit, with less tourists and weather conditions that help to go better back in time.

Don't expect too much from the trenches: those that exist are all replicas.

Regards,

Bart
    Last edited by Bart FM Droog; 11th April 2008 at 08:30.

Thanks

Default World War 1

Hi all,
    Many thanks for your replies.
    Now I know we are going to really enjoy this trip. It seems that there is so much to see.
    I am going to buy a map and draw my route on it taking in all the places that you have mentioned. I think that children learn far more from trips like this than they do at school reading books.
    Thanks and best wishes again
    Gerry

Thanks

Hi Gerry

I vote for Belgium and Ieper with a concentration of sites in the close area.

Tyne Cot with 12,000 graves is overpowering especially as the surrounding hill sides are dotted with even more patches of white.

Langemark Canadian Memorial (gas attack) is impressive as a monument.

Hill 62 with it's recreated trench system is also worth a visit (60 years on I found it difficult to keep my footing just walking over the grass covered shell holes).

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/westfront/ypsalient/museums/hill62mus.htm

Hooge crater also for the story of the miners and the explosion.

Finally the ceremony at the Menin gate with the walls covered in the names of over 90,000 missing in the salient.

Regards
    Ross