Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mansel Langmead A/G

Thanks

Thanks so much Col!
    Nothing in the records I have on file at all, so that’s useful to know!
    Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post
    Matt,

Here are a couple of the sources I used:

The Second Raid - Homeward, 15 July 1944.

"PA984 (156 Sqn), was shot down by a Ju 88, possibly of I./NJG 2. Flying nearby was Lancaster ED888 (P/O J. S. Griffiths, 576 Squadron), 'whose rear-gunner sighted a Ju 88 in the glow of a burning Lancaster which it was attacking'. The hungry Ju 88, not satisfied with its victory over PA984, spotted veteran ED888 and began its approach. The two gunners fired long bursts at the enemy aircraft as it attacked from the fine port quarter down. Hit many times, the Ju 88 burst into flames, dived down out of control, hit the ground and exploded.
    Although too late to prevent the destruction of PA984, Griffiths's crew had the satisfaction of destroying its probable executioner. It was, incidentally, a joyous crew that landed at Chedburgh, where it had been diverted, some hours later. They had just completed their tour of 30 operations in three months!"

See:
    Massacre over the Marne The RAF Bombing Raids on Revigny, July 1944.
    Clutton-Brock,Oliver.
    Sparkford:Patrick Stevens Ltd.,1994.
    pp.52-3

See also:

Griffiths' rear gunner, a Welshman named D W "Taffy" Langmead, shot down two German night fighters, a Me 410 from point-blank range on 24/25 June (1944), then a Ju 88 on their 30th and last trip while on the bomb-run over Revigny marshalling yards on 14/15 July (1944). On this occasion they had just got a message to abort but the bomb-aimer, Charlie Bint, had the target in his sights and Jimmy told him to go ahead and bomb. Just then a Ju 88 flew right across them and then came in from behind. Taffy and the '88 opened fire at the same time, but the Ju 88's fire ceased abruptly and the fighter spun down into some cloud.

Ton-Up Lancs A Photographic Record of the Thirty-five RAF Lancasters that each Completed One Hundred Sorties.
    Franks,Norman
    London:Grub Street,2005.
    p.75

Col.

Thanks

Phill
    im writing the history of 576 and have over 10000 files and 25GB of data. If I can be of any help, please do drop me an e!
    mattDOT576sqnATgmailDOTcom
    or join my FB group ‘576 Squadron’ - we have plenty of people there who can also help you out! Please just answer the three questions asked
    cheers!
    Matt
    ’Keeping 576 Alive’

Thanks

Greg, hi mate!
    id be really interested in seeing those! There’s huge gaps in my 576 combat reports!
    thanks buddy
    Matt
    ’Keeping 576 Alive’

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    Peter and Phil,

"Mansel" is a solid Welsh name!! That might add a bit of provenance for you :)

Phil, there is another roll of unsorted 1 Group Combat Reports in the TNA, but for some reason I don't believe it's indexed. I've got a digital copy of it at home, I'll try and have a look through it this week for you.

L/O

Greg