Thread: 192 Sqn combat with Bf109 28/29.7.44 Stuttgart raid

Thanks

Default 192 Sqn combat with Bf109 28/29.7.44 Stuttgart raid

Dear all,

In ‘Bomber Command reflections of war' by Martin Bowman, the author relates the story of a F/Eng with 192 Squadron that came under attack by two Bf109s (acting in a pair) in the attack on Stuttgart on 28/29 July 1944. After spotting the aircraft approaching and corkscrewing the Mid Upper Gunner hit one of the 109s and the German pilot baled out, but hit the bomber's port wing and the bomber crew brought one of the legs in the boot back to their home base.

Does anyone have more specific details of the place & time of the encounter, which would enable me to match this incident to a German loss?

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Default 192 Sqn, 28-29/7/1944

Hi Theo, hope this finds you well.

I looked at "Espionage in the Ether" about 192 Sqn but the details it gives for this night's ops don't seem to match your story below.

I'll try to type out for you sometime soon what EitE says, and you can decide if that helps you or not - or even if it's talking about the same a/c as yours! It might not be, so maybe that'll be something for further investigation. As I recall what the bit in EitE said, it didn't mention anything about any a/c hitting a German pilot, and referred, I think, to one being attacked by a Ju88 and an Me109. Maybe have to check the ORB.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks

Default 192 Sqn, 28-29/7/1944

Hi Theo

From "Espionage in the Ether" (William and John Rees):

"The last operations carried out for the month of July were on the 28th when four Wellingtons flew along the Dutch coast to the estuary of the Ems, two Halifaxes with a Mosquito accompanied a bomber stream to Hamburg, and three Mosquitoes, with a Halifax, flew with a second bomber force to Stuttgart. On the homeward journey, flying at 12,000 ft, Halifax LK781 (DT-Y) spotted a Ju 88 and a Me 109 turning to attack, so the pilot took evasive action and managed to shake off the Ju 88, but the other fighter continued to threaten the Halifax. The two gunners, Sgts J W Carpenter and L J Sessions, fired off 400 rounds apiece at the Me 109 which was hit several times. The enemy aircraft dived away sharply and almost immediately an explosion was seen on the ground in the direction taken by the stricken fighter, which was claimed as a "probable". That same night, two other Halifaxes carried out special patrols off the Dutch coast near Haarlem".

With a bit of tweaking that could be your a/c? Not really sure if that helps or not, but maybe a start for further investigation? : )

All the best

Ian

Thanks

Hello Ian,

Many thanks for these interesting details. I have so far not been able to identify any single-engined Bf109 and/or Fw190 losses on 28/29 July 1944 -the Germans reported nine twin-engined fighters as lost in combat, four against the Hamburg raid and another five against the Stuttgart force.. I must add that I have identified a single-engined Gruppe (I./JG301) that was engaged on ops on this night, but it appears that this unit only operated against Crossbow attacks, and not against any of the two Main Force raids.

Cheers, Theo