Thread: Lancaster III. ED881/E. 20/21 October 1943 of 103 Squadron.

Thanks

Default Lancaster III. ED881/E. 20/21 October 1943 of 103 Squadron.

Greetings All,
    While working on my latest Missing NZ Airmen project the Lancaster ED881 for 20/21 October 1943 (Captain. Wt. Off. Aubrey Huia PARGETER. RNZAF), I located a website
    http://newportsdead.shaunmcguire.co.uk/B.htm with the mention of his Flight Engineer, Sgt. William George CANE 1802920 RAF (VR).

On this excellent website it not only had his photograph, but en entry that was given to a local (Newport Monmouthshire) newspaper, which one I have no idea, by his parents and his sister JOAN. In a short Obituary in this site I found that he was educated at the St. Julianís High School, Newport, and Monmouthshire.

My query is, does anyone know of his family, or has an e mail address of St Julianís School please. I couldnít find a school e mail address anywhere to send them a signal.

My e mail address is awarculus@xtra.co.nz .

Any answers would be very much appreciated,

Thanks.

Digger.

Thanks

Hi Digger,

http://www.stjuliansschool.co.uk/

email addy at bottom of page.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Thanks Dave,
    I did try that address but got a 'boomerang', so perhaps it may have been busy, I will try again.
    Cheers,
    Digger.

Thanks

Thanks for your 'shove' Dave, I sent another sig to them and recieved a very possitive reply,

Digger.

Thanks

Default RE:

Hello Digger,

It seems that this Lancaster was carrying a crew of eight:

W/O A. H. Pargeter
    F/S E. H. Willcocks (possibly a second pilot)
    Sgt. W. G. Cane
    Sgt. E. H. Thompson
    Sgt. L. Cross
    Sgt. H. Sykes
    Sgt. J. G. McLean
    Sgt. J. P. Neville

As this 103 Squadron, have you tried contacting the Squadron Association (Mr. David Fell)? Finally, as your interesting project concerns missing New Zealanders, 103 Squadron also suffered missing NZ airmen on 23-24 December 1943 F/O A. G. Macdonald (of F/S M. McMahon's crew) and on 2-3 January 1944 W/O E. T. Townsend (pilot).

Regards,
    Richard

Thanks

Thanks Richard, have noted the names of the other missing New Zealanders.

I keep in mind the 103 Assn as years ago (1970) I had dealings when pre computer and retirement I was doing research on S/Ldr. W.H.Powdrell, that took me many years to get the answers.

Now at 86 I guess I havent theat amout of time!!

On this crew you mention I have the photos of Pargeter and Cane. If you want a copy of the Draft Just give a yell at awarculus@xtra.co.nz.

Thanks so much for your interest,

Digger (an ex Surrey lad)

Thanks

Default RE:

Dear Digger,

Thanks very much for the offer; are you writing an article on this crew? I understand that W/O Pargeter was on his 14th operation. Have you seen M. Lambert's book, Night after Night: New Zealanders in Bomber Command?

Incidentally, my great-uncles' crew were on 103 squadron at this time; they operated the following night (22/23 October) in the operation against Kassel.

Regards,
    Richard

Thanks

Hello Richard,
    If you would contact me on my e mail address I will let you have a copy of the DRAFT of M.A-48.

I do have a copy of Night After Night and Max doesnít include anything of the Pargeter crew.

The M.A-48 series are only a small write up for any of a family that pops up; it is not a book, as at 86 I havenít the time left to do that sort of research these days, 40 years ago, yes, but................!

Thanks for the gen on your uncleís crew, I have noted their names.

Cheers for now,
    Digger