Thread: Help in finding info

Thanks

Default Help in finding info

Hello,

I am new to the board and trying to locate any information about my Grandfather.

I live in Australia which is somewhat restrictive in the resources I can access.

The only info I have is my mothers birth certificate which lists my grandfathers occupation in 1946 as:

3076465 RAF of Highfield Pinn Way Ruislip Northwood U6.

I checked the list of RAF service numbers but his doesn't appear to fall into any grouping, any advice appreciated.

Regards Phil

Thanks

Welcome to the board.
    Could you provide a name perhaps, help us a bit more.

he could be part of the batch of service numbers:
    3075001 to 3099999 3093490 Nov 1945 Ex ATC Cadets Padgate

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?27-RAF-RAF-OR-Service-Numbers

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for the welcome, name is:

Arthur Frederick Harvey, i don't have his DOB I'm afraid.

Regards Phil

Thanks

Phil, Hi

This could be an interesting one!

IF he gets 3076465 at Padgate in Nov 45 then WW2 is over and he must be being Called Up for National Service? Therefore he must have been 18 in Nov 45? (He was not old enough to be Called Up during WW2) Therefore he must have been born in 1927?

IF, in 1946, on his daughter’s BC his address is given as Pinn Way, Ruislip, does that mean he was ‘Living Out’? I doubt it. It is probably where his wife was living when she gave birth. There is still a Pinn Way in Ruislip (can’t find ‘Highfield’).

SO, if his wife was living there, where was he posted? Northwood, Northolt, or Eastcote? Try Googling RAF Eastcote. Interesting happenings at that location and at that time. Additionally, his RAF trade/location appears to have been heavily ‘sanitised’ on the BC? 3076465 is not in LG (at least I can't find it!) so, presumably, he remained non-Commissioned and got no Gongs?

I’ve got a possible candidate, but I won’t publish it to the Forum unless/until the above makes good sense.

There's a lot more to be gleaned from the daughter's BC. Can we please have all the details?

HTH

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Phil,

You can obtain your grandfather's service record from the RAF - for details as to how to proceed go to https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/request-forms-for-service-personnel-details-royal-air-force

It will provide details of all his postings (although if he wasn't in the RAF very long that might not be too many), when he joined and was demobbed together with a fair amount of other useful information. - including his date of birth and previous employment. Should you have difficulty understanding/deciphering the acronyms/terminolgy forumites would be only to help.

There's a £30 fee and it takes about 20 weeks to receive the information.

Brian