Thread: No.31 Personnel Depot, Moncton - and it's successors

Thanks

Default No.31 Personnel Depot, Moncton - and it's successors

Hello all,
    I have been searching The National Archives file on No. 31 Personnel Depot (AIR29/697) and transcribing the movements of drafts of aircrew to and from particular Flying Schools. Though this ORB does not report any intended date of disbandment, the entries end abruptly at 30th November 1944.

Did No.31 P.D close on this date and if not is anyone aware of any later records?

It appears at some stage the role of No.31 P.D. in the storage of RAF and FAA personnel from the U.K and their transmission as u/t aircrew to the various training schools - and their eventual return as graduate pilots - was taken over by the RCAF's No.1 "Y" Depot at Moncton or Halifax.

A shelf list of RCAF ORBs held by Libraries and Archives in Ottawa lists reel #236 (C-12, 382) as containing the records of Nos. 1-3 Y Depot. Can anyone tell me if this reels refers to Moncton and if it contains similar movement reports?

I am hoping there may be someone on the board who has some experience of using reel C-12,382.
    Thank you, Tony Broadhurst.

Thanks

Hi Tony,

according to RAF Flying Training and Support Units since 1912 pg. 209:

No 31 Personnel Despatch Centre formed 20.10.41 at Moncton, became RN 31 RAF Depot (sic) 1.7.42.

So I am afraid this info gives more questions and no answer to your original ones.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Default No.31 Personnel Depot, Moncton - and it's successors.

Pavel,
    Thank you for highlighting the entry.
    I have the book and found the entry you quoted. but there is no follow up entry for "31 RAF Depot" and no date of closure is reported. I wondered if the authors having looked at AIR29/697 also doubted that 30 November 1944 was the actual closure date.

To anyone reading this in Canada..
    Reference the RCAF reels:
    In addition to reel C-12, 282 mentioned in my first message the preceding reel, (C-12, 281) is listed as containing the records of No.31 Personnel Depot. I expect this is exactly the same record as AIR29/697 but can anyone tell me if it contains reports after November 1944?

I am making that assumption because the records of the 30 numerical series BCATP flying schools held at Kew seem to be identical to the reels I obtained from Ottawa.

Thank you, Tony

Thanks

Default No. 31 PD

"A shelf list of RCAF ORBs held by Libraries and Archives in Ottawa lists reel #236 (C-12, 382) as containing the records of Nos. 1-3 Y Depot. Can anyone tell me if this reels refers to Moncton and if it contains similar movement reports?"

G'day Tony

I am looking at my master index for RG-24 and Reel Number C-12, 382 shows the following reference to Depots:

Temporary Embarkation Depot, Debert, Nova Scotia
    February, 1944

Temporary No. 1 'Y' Depot, Debert, Nova Scotia
    March - April, 1941

No. 1 'M' Depot, Halifax, Nova Scotia
    May - July, 1941

No. 1 'Y' Depot, Halifax, Nova Scotia
    August 1941 - October, 1942

No. 2 'Y' Depot, Moncton, New Brunswick
    April - July, 1942

No. 3 'Y' Depot, Debert, Nova Scotia
    September 1 - March, 1942

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

There ORB of 31 PD is not continued on reel C-12382, the pages apparently were not microfilmed.

You are correct regarding the duties of No 31 PD being taken over by RCAF No 1 'Y' Depot at Moncton, this is the first entry in the No 1 'Y' Depot ORB on 1st February 1945;
    The formation of No 1 'Y' Depot of RCAF Moncton NB was effected today for disposition of RCAF personnel for posting overseas and RAF personnel for repatriation, and is located in Moncton in the buildings formerly occupied by No 31 RAF Personnel Depot. G/C R.J. Dawes DFC took over as commanding officer from G/C Fernighough MC, commanding officer of No 31 RAF Depot. Many officers, NCOs and airmen on staff strength of No 31 PD were retained in their former positions under the new name and command.

Ian Macdonald

Thanks

Default No.31 Personnel Depot, Moncton and it's successors.

Many thanks to Dakota and Ian for their help in this matter.
    Tony

P.S. I could just add that G/C Fernighough MC had been the C/O. of 31 P.D. since October 1943.
    Last edited by Freshman; 30th April 2013 at 10:42. Reason: added P.S.

Thanks

Default Personnel Records

Quote Originally Posted by Ian M Macdonald View Post
    There ORB of 31 PD is not continued on reel C-12382, the pages apparently were not microfilmed.

You are correct regarding the duties of No 31 PD being taken over by RCAF No 1 'Y' Depot at Moncton, this is the first entry in the No 1 'Y' Depot ORB on 1st February 1945;
    The formation of No 1 'Y' Depot of RCAF Moncton NB was effected today for disposition of RCAF personnel for posting overseas and RAF personnel for repatriation, and is located in Moncton in the buildings formerly occupied by No 31 RAF Personnel Depot. G/C R.J. Dawes DFC took over as commanding officer from G/C Fernighough MC, commanding officer of No 31 RAF Depot. Many officers, NCOs and airmen on staff strength of No 31 PD were retained in their former positions under the new name and command.

Ian Macdonald
    I came across your article and I was wondering where I can or how do I access records of personnel that were posted to the 31 PD? According to my research my grandfather Reginald Sprague was attached to the 31 PD. His ID card shows that he was stationed at No 1 "Y" depot from the 21st April 1943.

Thanks

Hi, I am new to the site. My wife's dad has history arriving at No 31 Moncton 21/11/43, then to No 31 OTU Debert 29/11/43, then on to No 33 SFTS Carberry 02/04/44 and back to UK on 25/12/44. We know little of his time there and we have just inherited a photo album form his wife recently deceased. One picture in there shows a crashed Anson so probably from Carberry. He enlisted 1942 as a Wireless Mechanic and RADAR (ACH/R.D.F./W.Mech) 16/09/42. I would be very grateful if someone could tell me more......are there any records over in Canada that might have him listed? All help appreciated martin george