Thread: memorial unveiled for the crew of Lancaster ND586, No. 460 Squadron

Thanks

Default memorial unveiled for the crew of Lancaster ND586, No. 460 Squadron

Hello

Today I attended the unveiling of a memorial for the crew of Lancaster ND586, from No. 460 Squadron, based at Binbrook, shot down by Helmut Bergmann during the night 10/11 April 1944, attacking the marshalling yard at Aulnoye-Aymeries.

The bomber crashed in the village of Vieux-Mesnil, at 02:20 hours on the 11th.

The crew was made of F/O Arthur Harold PROBERT, Sgt Basil Guy WISEMAN, Sgt Robert Bruce McDougall, F/Sgt Austin Hardcastle PALFREYMAN, Sgt Dennis ROBBINS, F/Sgt William George HOGG and F/O Keith Francis RYAN. WISEMAN and ROBINS were RAF, the others RAAF.

The daughter of Sgt ROBBINS and a cousin of F/Sgt HOGG unveiled the mémorial by removing the Australian and Union Jack flags.

Joss

Thanks

Hello,

The following might also be of interest:

http://www.ozatwar.com/460sqdn/nd586.htm

Col.

Thanks

Hello Col

Yes I know this website. It contains a reference to a member of the Missing Research & Enquiry Service doing the identification of the crew in April 1944, which is obviously a wrong understanding of the wartime events. Unfortunately this little mistake has also found its way on several articles.

Back in September 2007 I co-organised the unveiling of a similar memorial for # RICHARDS crew, No. 12 Squadron, at Neuville St Rémy near Cambrai, who was victim n° 3 of BERGMANN that night.

Perhaps next year I'll organise a similar memorial for the BARNSDALE crew (No. 576 Squadron), victim n° 2 of that night, if there is a local will to do so. My association is co-organising a double unveiling on 8th May (a U.S. B-17 crew and S/L Herbert Pilling's Blenheim crew in the village of Ecques) and on 15th June the dedication of a memorial for the crew captained by Rodney LARSON (Lancaster II DS660, No. 115 Squadron, 13/14 July 1943), at Metz-en-Couture.

Regards

Joss