Thread: My Dad's Hampden Crew

Thanks

Default My Dad's Hampden Crew

I'm trying to find out a little more about my Dad's crew - kind of a long shot but any info would be much appreciated.

George Milliken - RCAF pilot
    William Mackay (or Mckay?) - RCAF navigator/bomb aimer
    Freddy Faucus - RAF? WOP/Gunner
    Ingleson - RAF? Gunner don't know first name

They crewed up at 5 OTU Turnberry (Coastal Command) September 1942. The pilot was my father - he started to develop a sinus/bleeding ear issue while at Turnberry and after two botched operations and a year convalescence was shipped back to Canada October 1943 to become a staff pilot at 5 BGS School Dafoe until they closed down in January 1945. I have his file from the Canadian lib/archives.

They must have recrewed up possibly all going to different crews. As far as I can tell Mackay joined an all Canadian crew and while at 415 squadron spun and crashed during fighter affiliation training April 1943 - all killed.

I have very little information on and have no idea what happend to Faucus and Ingleson however appear to have survived the war as no entry in CWGC?

TIA
    Rodger
    In remembrance of the crew of Halifax HR732
    51 Squadron Snaith - All LWT Leipzig 4 December 1943

Thanks

The Observer was William James MacKay;
    http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/war-dead/001056-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=39702&interval=20&&PHPSESSID=i2s7gt7 8q988c0jjgtk75ceah6

Ian Macdonald

Thanks

Dear Rodger
    The Hampden and Hereford Crash Log by Nicholas Roberts lists: 03/04/43 L4084 415 Sq Crashed at Marsh Farm, Sussex, at 10.50hrs after diving from 2000feet and burnt out. Four Killed. Cat.E. (Destroyed)

The Hampden File by Harry Moyle lists: L4084 50Sq / 25OTU / 16OTU / Converted to Torpedo Bomber / 5 OTU / 415 Squadron 3/4/43 Spun into ground, Marsh Farm, Sussex, on fighter affiliation exercise. Sgt D Montgomery RCAF, Sgt W Mackay RCAF, Sgt JD Scott RCAF, Sgt JW Whipple (All Killed) Training

Hope this is of some help.
    James

Thanks

Ian/James thanks for the update

Rodger
    In remembrance of the crew of Halifax HR732
    51 Squadron Snaith - All LWT Leipzig 4 December 1943