Thread: incident/accident in Canada, 3 September 1941, Rodney Boyd Larson

Thanks

Default incident/accident in Canada, 3 September 1941, Rodney Boyd Larson

Hello,

Hugh Halliday provided me the great lines of the service career of the above mentioned pilot.

He was reprimanded for low flying over the St Laurent river on 3 september 1941, damaging one of his propellers. He was then posted to the Central Flying School at Trenton.

Can a (canadian ?) forum member elaborate on this incident ? Apparently he landed back OK but I'd like to have confirmation of the type (Anson ?), and any other details about it, and about this pilot. I talked to the family a few years ago, and they mentioned several incidents / accidents, but didn't have any details at all.

A memorial will be unveiled on 15th June at the place of crash of Lancaster II DS660 he captained during the night 13/14 July 1943, and from which he was the only survivor.

Thanks in advance

Joss

Thanks

Default Larson

Salut Joss

The aircraft was Avro Anson Mk. I, s/n 6561 (former R.A.F. s/n W2326) from the Central Flying School at R.C.A.F. Station Trenton, Ontario. The incident took place two miles south-east of Gannonoque, Ontario on the St. Lawrence River

Pilot - J5829 Pilot Officer R. B. Larson

Passenger J6174 Pilot Officer C. V. Wales

The pair were up doing some instructional flying when Larson carried out un-authorized low-level flying outside of the designated low-flying area. The starboard airscrew struck the water causing Category C damage. The starboard Cheetah engine (s/n 31692) suffered some minor damage as well. This is the only officially recorded incident involving Larson while flying in Canada that I have.

Incidentally Joss, this aircraft was converted to an Anson Mk. IV on the 1st of February, 1943.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Hello Chris,

That's perfect as usual ! Many thanks.

There was probably some "family lore", during the discussion in 2007 with the Larsons.

regards

Joss