Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tavender's DFM citations

Thanks

Default Tavender's DFM citations

Does anyone have a copy of Tavender's DFM Citations who could do a look up for me please?

I am interested in Flight Sergeant Richard James Ruffell-Hazell 359517 of 115 Squadron RAF who lost his life over Holland on a bombing mission on 3rd August 1940.

Thanks

RUFFELL-HAZEL, Richard James 359517 Sergeant No. 115 Sqn.
    LG 31/5/1940 Air Observer Air 2/9412

Sergeant Ruffell-Hazel acted as Navigator to his Flight Commander, Squadron Leader du Boulay, on all long distance bombing attacks made by the Flight Commander between 9th and 13th April 1940. In these flights, by day and by night, his skill both as a Navigator and Bomb Aimer and the unruffled manner in which he carried out his duties in the face of enemy opposition were largely responsible for the success achieved. Throughout the operations during the period 4th. to 13th. April 1940, he set a fine example of tenacity and devotion to duty.

Remarks by A.O.C
    This NCO displayed gallantry and devotion to duty of the highest order during a period of intensive operations under difficult conditions. His skill, courage and general attitude towards the work which had to be done, steadfastly maintained day by day and night by night, proved a very valuable example to the remainder of the flying crews. Very strongly recommended.

Source : The Distinguished Flying Medal Register for the Second World War by Ian Tavender

--

Douglas

Thanks

Default DFM Citation

Thanks Douglas.

Thanks

Default DFM Citation

My grandfather 928251 Edward Decimus Paulham DAGGER Flight Engineer of 582sqn was awarded a DFM. I am trying to find the citation or recommendation that goes with it. I have looked on the London Gazette website, and can't find anything other than the date upon which he was awarded it, which was 13 April 1945.

I am led to believe that he was awarded this because he managed to bring home the plane he was in on 15 July 1944, when his pilot 172479 Bertram Roy Pengilley was injured.

The rest of his crew were -
    AH Grange A/Bomber
    Donald Robert Anderson (RCAF - J.23911) Navigator
    D Holden WOP/Air
    AE Scott M/U/Gunner
    TC Davies R/Gunner

Any information about him, or his crew would also be greatly appreciated.
    Can anybody please help, many thanks.

Thanks

Jo

From Ian Tavenderís book : The Distinguished Flying Medal Register : Second World War : -

DAGGER, Edward Decimus Paulham. 928251 Flight Sergeant No. 582 Sqn.
    LG 13/4/1945, Sorties 45, Flying hours 184.40, Flight Engineer, Air2/9060

Flight Sergeant Dagger is Flight Engineer of a very experienced marker crew. He has the complete confidence of his crew and his coolness, skill and determination in the face of trying circumstances have been of the highest order. He is strongly recommended for the non-immediate award of the Distinguished Flying Medal.
    22 January 1945.

Remarks by Station Commander :

This NCO has ability above the average. His unfailing determination regardless of enemy opposition makes him very worthy of being recommended fro the award of the Distinguished Flying Medal.

--

Regards

Douglas

Thanks

Thank you :)

Thanks

I really appreciate you finding this information, I have looked at his logbook and it would appear that he had a total of 53 (maybe 54 as 33 is recorded twice) operations in total including the ones he did with 625sqn. Can you double check to see if the book recorded this as 54 rather than 45. Thanks :)

Thanks

Me Again - this is obviously a recommendation, would there be a citation too? If so any ideas how I would find a copy of it? Many Thanks :)

Thanks

Jo

Tavender definitely quotes 45 operations so that may only cover the number with 582 Sqn. As to the obtaining of a copy of the citation, I do not know but Hugh Halliday, who posts on the forum, is probably the man in the know about that.

Douglas

Thanks

Thanks again.