Thread: A W/C North at B.160 Copenhagen/Kastrup on 5 May 1945

Thanks

Default A W/C North at B.160 Copenhagen/Kastrup on 5 May 1945

A few hours after the surrender of German troops in Denmark, a Dakota and 4 Spitfires touch down at 0930 hours at B.160 Copenhagen/Kastrup. On board the Dakota is a W/C North. He may or may not have been the pilot.

The purpose of the landing was to make sure that the airfield was ready for General Dewing and a contingent of paratroopers landing in 12 Dakotas later that day (1630 hours).

Would anyone have an idea of the identity of this wingco, e.g. unit, christian name(s)? I would of course also be interested in a unit reference for the 4 Spitfires as they are my main interest.

As far as I know, the Dakotas transporting Dewing were 437 Squadron, RCAF.

Thanks in advance.

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Although the squadron 540/541 will probably hold the answer, can I first suggest you confirm the name: North.

It is possible that it was actually W/C Christopher (Kit) North-Lewis. This officer was a distinguished fighter pilot who fought through much of the war and was attached to or commanding a Wing at the war's end. In the circumstances you describe, he might well have been leading an advance party whose aim was to see what needed to be done to prepare the airfield for use in the immediate post-war period.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin
    Thank you for these considerations. I'll try the 437 ORB for more information. I also considered North-Lewis. The sources clearly states North, but then again sources for this day has proven uncertain before especially regarding such details as names.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

The 437 Sqn ORB (form 540) states the following for 5 May 1945:

"OPERATIONS: The crew at B.56 [Brussels] since April 27th, today flew to Copenhagen via B.156 with personnel from 125 Wing - this crew returned to base May 6 via B.156 and B.56. One other crew carried Squadron personnel to B.75 and returned to base empty."

The text seem to refer to a single a/c having been stationed at B.56 since April 27th. I have not been able to identify the aircraft via operations for April 27th, though. W/C North is not mentioned. I have concluded that he was not a 437 Sqn pilot. Next lead is the 125 Wing personnel reference. The 125 Wing arrived on May 9th in Copenhagen.

Form 541 of the Squadron does not seem to be part of the files in discovery.

Regards

Mikkel

Thanks

North-Lewis ceased to be W/C flying of 124 Wing on April 1945. I came across information stating that he was transferred to 83 GSU, but does not know for certain.

124 Wing moved to B.156 on April 30th. The 437 Sqn Dakota flying to Copenhagen on May 5th passes through B.156 on it's way to (and from) Copenhagen.

This part of the information could support that it was W/C North-Lewis.

Mikkel
    Last edited by Mikkel Plannthin; 12th May 2013 at 15:30. Reason: Spelling

Thanks

Hej Mikkel,

Jeg fik en e-mail fra en dansker, dateret 13.7 2000 med en forespørgsel.

Kan du få det til at passe ind i dit puslespil, eller er det en senere landing:

"det første allierede fly som landede i København umiddelbart efter befrielsen 1945. Som pilot på dette fly var Howard Wesley Beaver - en af mine dansk-amerikanske slægtninge!"

Mvh

Finn

Sorry! In Danish this time.

Thanks

Finn
    Thank you for replying.

The short answer would be no, cf.
    http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/k/e/c/Pamela-Keck/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0025.html

The longer that I am quite sure he did not pilot the first a/c to land, so it must have been at a later date. There must be some kind of record of a/c landing in the airport other than the individual unit records.

Mikkel

Thanks

Returning to to this query. Could it be Richard Martin NORTH, D.F.C. and Bar, A.F.C. (76453). R.A.F.V.R.?

According to Danish sources the W/C in question was a german speaking, former school teacher. I guess it is not certain that he was flying.

Mikkel

Thanks

The suggestion that the officer you seek is W/C R M North makes a good deal of sense.

If he spoke German it would be a good idea to send somebody like that to survey or visit a place where the RAF would be deploying shortly.

Colin Cummings