Thread: Crash location 102 Sqn. Halifax HX154, 22/23 Sept. 1943?

Thanks

Default Crash location 102 Sqn. Halifax HX154, 22/23 Sept. 1943?

Dear all,

I've been working recently on the German night fighter & Flak claims during the 22/23 September 1943 Hannover raid (for the research of the NJWD 2nd edition), and the only a/c unaccounted for in the claims & matchings listings is 102 Squadron Halifax HX154. Apparently the victim of mechanical failure, the Halifax was abandoned by its crew (all 7 PoW), but I would like to know where and when the aircraft crashed, can anyone help?

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Hello,

1580261 Sgt (Air Gnr.) Roland MAUND RAFVR, was not a PoW.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2074854/

BCL4/326 is in error, see:

http://www.rafinfo.org.uk/BCWW2Losses/1943.htm

1943/326 102/HX154 Sgt R Maund +

Also:

Sergeant Alec Taylor (W.Op., aboard HX154).

During the bombing of Hannover on the 22nd September 1943, my aircraft was coned and whilst the skipper was making strenuous efforts to escape the beams, the starboard inner engine over-revved. Whether this was caused by flak or nightfighter, we were not aware. The engine would not feather and eventually, the propeller came off and scythed through the nose of the Halifax. The fuse panel was blown out and all electrical equipment in the aircraft failed.
    The navigator plotted a course for home and with the aid of a torch held by me, the pilot was able to turn onto this. However a fire broke out in the damaged engine and we were ordered to bale out. I was caught in the vicinity of Hameln three days later and eventually taken by the Germans to see what they assumed were the remains of my aircraft. They were in fact correct as a flying boot, belonging to our rear gunner, was lying beside the aircraft and his body was visible, protruding from the rear escape hatch. As l had lost a boot on the way down, l wore that boot for the duration of my internment.

See:
    It's Suicide But It's Fun:The Story of Number 102 (Ceylon) Squadron 1917-1956.
    Goss,Chris
    Manchester:Crecy,1995.
    pp.99-100

On p.190 of the same ref, Chris Goss states,"Thought to have been shot down by nightfighter near target".

Unfortunately, AUS409637 Flt/Sgt (later W/O) Frank WINDMILL RAAF, passed away on the Gold Coast on 1st July, 2004, aged 84 (Frank was a member of the "Caterpillar Club").

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 13th May 2013 at 00:45.

Thanks

Hi Theo,

I found some information on this loss for you and have sent it to your email address.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

Hello chaps,

many thanks for these details, useful indeed!

Cheers, Theo