Thread: Bomber Command Night Fighter Claims

Thanks

Default Bomber Command Night Fighter Claims

Please can a Bomber Command expert help me , I wondering if RAF Bomber Command A/G's recorded Claims the same way as RAF Fighter Command Pilots ? and are these claims recorded elsewhere other than the AIR 50 series at the NA or Unit ORB'S .

TIA

Phill Jones

Thanks

Phill,

Yes claims were recorded as destroyed, probable and damaged.

The closest you can get to an official list of claims is probably The Monthly Supplementary Narrative of Operations. The number of claims matches the official statistics released by Bomber Command in the end of the war (info from RodM active on this Forum). Besides claims by air gunners of the bomber units it also includes all claims by the night fighter units in 100 Group. Unfortunately are only units and aircraft identity included not the names of gunners and pilots.

If you compare claims in the Monthly Supplementary with claims in Combat reports and ORBs you will find that some claims were either downgraded or rejected. In most cases probably because the original claim was not accepted by BC but I believe there can be more errors than in a comparable document by Fighter Command. After all claims had a lower importance in BC.

You can order January to April 1943 online (Ref AIR50/294). It includes information about: date/Group/squadron/a/c identity (only letter)/position/time/height/type of E/A/short summary of combat/claim (destroyed, probable or damaged).

August 1943 to April 1945 (AIR14/3433) has the same information as above for destroyed and probable but less information about damaged - date/Group/squadron/a/c identity/type of E/A. Several months are missing (May-Aug 1944 and Jan-Feb 1944).
    Also the months before Jan 1943 and May-Jul 1943 are missing. The good news is that all missing months after April 1943 can be found in Canada.

Observe also that many combat reports are missing in AIR50 especially after mid 1944. Info in ORBs varies depending on unit and time period. Sometimes are claims completely missing in the ORB even if you find information about the in combat reports and the Monthly Supplementary.

Cheers,
    Peter

Thanks

Peter, My Thanks this is very useful

i have PM You

Phill Jones

Thanks

Default Missing Months

Hi Peter (phasselgren)
    You mentioned in your post that the missing months can be found in Canada. My father was badly wounded by a fighter attack in June 1944 so I'm eager to get hold of a copy of the combat report. I would be very grateful if you could please point me in the right direction records wise in Canada.
    Thanks
    Phil (Type683)

Thanks

Hi,

Phil (Type 683)

I am sorry for the late reply but I have been away from.

I received my documents via a researcher in Canada and unfortunately I do not have any information about were to find these documents. If you give me exact date, unit and name I will see what I can find in the documents I have.

Phill Jones

Reply to PM sent.

Peter

Thanks

Peter ,thank you PM SENT phill

Thanks

Hi Peter
    Thanks very much for your reply.
    The incident in question occurred on the night of 23/24 June 1944. My father was flying in Lancaster ND916 (TL-F) of 35 Squadron. The target that night was Coubronne in France.
    My fathers name is Harry Furner but it is likely the report would have been made by his pilot Geoffrey A Marsden given both gunner were wounded.
    I appreciate you checking your records for me.
    Cheers
    Phil (Type683)

Thanks

Default bomber command night fighter claims

HI PHIL, I concentrate on 5 group Lancaster sqdn's and have all the orb's, & most of the appendices, these are not allways much help but several sqdn's did record there combat reports within the appendices.
    Most of these are pretty comprehensive and list the a/g involved A/C serial, height heading time and even where the gunner received his training.
    regards GRAHAM.