Thread: Joseph Arthur FORD, R.A.A.F. evader

Thanks

Default Joseph Arthur FORD, R.A.A.F. evader

Hello

I’m looking for any details about the evasion of Sgt Joseph Arthur FORD, Royal Australian Air Force, 410968, air bomber in Lancaster ND783 (famous story with Ronald Ivelaw-Chapman), No. 576 Squadron, shot down 6/7 May 1944.

FORD didn’t file an evasion report in the WO208 series. I suspect he may have filed a ‘liberation’ report but may be someone can confirm the area where he was hidden, in France. His service file digitised by the National Archives of Australia shows he was back in allied hands on 23rd August 1944.

I’m trying to establish if he was the same « Jack Ford » about whom I’ve been asked to find details by the family who hid him. But I think they are really two different persons.

Thanks in advance

Joss

Thanks

Default Frod RAAF Evader

Hi Joss,

I had a look at his files, his crash file A705 has not been digitised, there is a file AWM65 which may have some details on his evasion. I am going to Canberra next Saturday to do some research at the Australian War Memorial and the National Archives. I will be happy to have a look for you and see if there is anything.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

Default Joseph Arthur FORD

Hello Joss,

F/Sgt. J.A. FORD and Air Commodore Ronald IVELAW-CHAPMAN were hidden at Brain sur Allonnes, a small village located at about 10 km N.E. of Saumur, département de Maine et Loire (my area). Contact me off board if you want additional information : I have the book, written by Eddy Florentin and Claude Archambault "Exécutez l'Air Commodore".

A +

Pierre

Thanks

Default Could he have been hidden near Lille ?

hello,

I know about the book and I have Sir Ronald Ivelaw-Chapman liberation report which gives details about his initial evasion together with Ford, until he was captured when the farm where they were both hiding was raided by the Germans. IC was captured but Ford was elsewhere in the farm and was able to get away with it.

There's a reference to a report by Ford (IS9 9 file number) in IC's liberation report. Perhaps someone has seen it.

I just want to be sure that he can't have been hidden near Lille, which would make absolutely non-sense, as the area where he came down was closer to the invasion zone, which meant he would be liberated earlier. And the date of 23rd August 1944 is quite correct for that, as the area of Lille was only liberated on 5th september.

John, if you can spend just a few minutes on J.A. Ford file, to check if he was always hiding in the same area, roughly around Le Mans (famous for the 24 heures race) and not in Lille area in northern France (near the Belgian border). If you don't have enough time, don't bother. Thanks for your offer.

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss,

Just back from Canberra. Its about 3 hours from me, when I got there the reading room NOW does not open until 1.00pm to 4.00pm on Saturdays. I then did not have the time, but I will be going again in the new year, so I'll hang on to the link as I have things for myselt to do as well.

You can contact me on jwilliamsATpnc.com.au if you like, replace the AT with the usual.

Cheers,

John.